Monday, September 3, 2012

Carrot Coconut Pineapple Bread

In addition to all the shredded carrots we needed to consume, I had bananas from Costco that were ripe and ready to eat. I'm pretty sure my boys deliberately let the bananas sit and get really ripe in hopes I'll make them into baked goods. :) When I'm not up for baking, I peel, slice, and freeze bananas and throw in a handful when I make drinks with my Vitamix. I love my Vitamix!!!!! Anyways, I was up for baking since I was on a shredded carrot baking extravaganza. 

The carrot coconut bread was the perfect combination of carrot, coconut, and pineapple. They were moist and the boys really enjoyed it. When I pulled it out of the oven, it had a nice rise but five minutes later, it was pretty flat making the bread pretty dense. No complaints though as it was really yummy anyways.


Carrot Coconut Pineapple Bread
yield: 1 loaf

Ingredients:
  • 2 bananas, mashed (or you can use 2 eggs)
  • 1 1/4 c shredded carrots
  • 1 c sweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/2 stick butter, softened
  • 1/2 c reduced fat sour cream
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 c flour
  • 1/2 c sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F and spray 9x5" loaf pan with oil.
  2. Mash bananas in a large bowl.
  3. Add carrots, coconut, butter, sour cream, and vanilla. If using eggs, add them during this step. Mix well.
  4. Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. 
  5. Slowly mix the carrot mixture into the flour mixture. Combine well but do not overmix.
  6. Pour mixture into loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes or till top is brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
  7. Cool 20-30 minutes IN the pan on a rack. After bread has had a chance to cool, pull out of pan and cool on rack.
  8. Put in airtight container after bread is completely cool. Do NOT slice until bread is cool.
Source: Adapted from "Easy. Everyday. Eats."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails