Thursday, September 13, 2012

Won Ton Soup

Because I had leftover won ton wrappers from the "egg rolls" I made the other day, I decided to make won tons for won ton soup. I've never made won tons but figured I should be able to put them together since I've helped my mom make gyoza (Japanese potstickers) a while back. Their filling seems to be the same but they're just shaped differently. I used a filling recipe from my mom and then found a site on Pinterest so I could learn how to do the won ton wrap. 

I used an open package of won ton wrappers so I ended up with leftover filling mixture. That wasn't such a bad thing because I cooked up the filling and then made fried rice with it. I'll post that recipe next. :) It was the perfect complement to the won ton soup! I boiled four won tons per person and froze the rest. I'm stoked that I have frozen won tons that I can cook up at a later time. The prep time took a little longer than expected but at least I get two meals out of it. :)

I was a little worried that the won tons would fall apart when I boiled them but they held up. Only two won tons fell apart during boiling. :)


This picture makes me smile. 
:)

Won Tons

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb ground chicken or pork (I used ground turkey because that's what I had in the fridge.)
  • 3 tbs soy sauce
  • 2 tbs sesame oil
  • 2 tbs garlic, minced
  • 1 tbs ginger, grated
  • 1/4 c green onions, chopped (more or less to taste)
  • 1 tbs corn starch
  • won ton wrappers
  • small bowl of water
  • soup ingredients and recipe below....If you're making won ton soup, get the broth started first.

Directions:
  1. Prep baking sheet with flour so won tons don't stick.
  2. Put first six ingredients in food processor and blend well. If you don't have a food processor, mix well in large bowl.
  3. Place individual won ton wrappers on dry cutting board. Try not to get the board or won ton wrappers wet or they'll get gooey and fall apart when you handle them.
  4. Use a tablespoon to measure out filling mixture. Place in center of won ton wrapper.
  5. Dip finger in bowl of water and wet two sides of wrapper. Fold up dry side to form a triangle.
  6. Press thumb in middle of won ton and join the two corners together. Wet one of the corners so they stay together. See picture above if this doesn't make sense. Place won tons on prepared baking sheet.
  7. Continue wrapping the won tons till you run out of filling or the wrappers.
  8. Boil pot of water and boil won tons a few at a time. Do not overcrowd or they won't cook well.
  9. Place in soup bowls and ladle chicken broth over won tons. Add additional green onions to taste. 

Notes:  If you have leftover filling, you can make little patties or cook it up like ground beef. I cooked it like ground beef and made fried rice with it. YUM! 
You can also fry the won tons if you prefer a crispy appetizer.

Source: Adapted from Simple Indian Recipes.


Soup

Ingredients:
  • 32 oz chicken broth
  • 1/8 c soy sauce
  • 1/8 tsp white pepper
  • 1" piece of peeled ginger
  • 1 tbs minced garlic
Directions:
  1. Place all ingredients in large pot/dutch oven and bring to a boil.
  2. When broth boils, turn heat down and simmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails