This meal is easy peasy! There's no need to brown the chicken or sauté veggies. In my opinion, the point of making a crockpot meal is for its simplicity, and browning and sautéing beforehand is not my idea of an easy crockpot meal if I have to cook it first. My boys like the texture of shredded chicken but if you don't, then I recommend browning the chicken in a separate pan before you add to the crockpot.
For the freezer: Lately, I've been freezing a lot of crockpot meals and I'm adding this to my "freezer meal" list. To make it a "freezer meal," throw all the ingredients into a gallon-size ziploc bag. I double-bag my ziplocs just in case as I don't want sauce leaking all over my fridge or freezer. Anyways, throw ALL of the ingredients into a gallon-size ziploc, squeeze air out, zip shut, and carefully squish and shake the bag to incorporate sauce throughout the ingredients. Store flat in the freezer. Place "freezer meal" in the fridge the day before you want to cook your crockpot meal. I put my "freezer meal" in a rectangular tupperware in the fridge just in case the sauce thaws and there's a hole in the bag or the bag comes "unzipped." The next morning, carefully dump all ziploc ingredients into the crockpot. It'll still be frozen but you should be able to loosen the ingredients so it all fits inside the crockpot. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low 6-8 hours. The time depends on your crockpot and the amount of food you're cooking. I keep 4-6 different "freezer meals" in my freezer for busy week nights so I can still serve a homemade dinner that doesn't take a lot of effort. Good stuff!
- 2 lbs chicken (I used thighs.)
- 1 onion- sliced
- 4-5 baby gold potatoes (or 1-2 russet potatoes)- cubed
- 4-5 garlic cloves- sliced
- 1/2 c soy sauce
- 1/2 c water
- 2 Tbs brown sugar (add 1/4 c if you prefer sweet)
- 2 c pineapple (canned or fresh)
- Slice onion and garlic- spread around bottom of crockpot.
- Cube potatoes- place on top of onions.
- Spread out chicken over veggies.
- Layer pineapple over everything.
- Combine soy sauce, water, and brown sugar- mix well. Pour over chicken and veggies.
- Place lid on crockpot, plug it in, and cook on high for 4 hours. Do NOT open lid while cooking.
- Stir AFTER the 4 hour cook time. Make sure the chicken is cooked thoroughly. If using breasts, it may take longer to cook.
- Serve over rice. ENJOY!