Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Coleslaw

My fam really liked this coleslaw. Son #2 couldn't eat this due to his egg allergy (there's egg in mayonnaise) but I set aside some of the coleslaw mix and served his portion with Italian dressing instead. I don't like to exclude him from food I make so I made a special coleslaw for him. He ate it up just like we did our "regular" coleslaw. :)

This coleslaw was similar to Kentucky Fried Chicken's coleslaw but not as sweet. The last time we had KFC was nine years ago when I was pregnant and craved their two piece meal with coleslaw, mashed potatoes and a biscuit. From what I remember, their coleslaw was pretty sweet.

When I decided to make pulled pork sandwiches, I knew coleslaw would be great served with the sandwiches. I looked up coleslaw recipes, ran to the store and gathered up the ingredients. This coleslaw was the perfect complement. I topped my pulled pork with coleslaw and the combination in my sandwich was fantastic! 

I'm not a coleslaw fan but this was good!

Coleslaw

Yield: 6-8 servings

Ingredients:
  • 14-16 oz package coleslaw mix
  • 2 tbs onion, minced (I used dehydrated onion)
  • 2 tbs sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tbs Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 c milk
  • 1/2 c Miracle Whip (or mayonnaise)
  • 1/4 c buttermilk (I set aside 1/4 c milk and added 1 tbs red wine vinegar in lieu of buttermilk.)
  • 1 1/2 tbs white wine vinegar
  • 2 tbs lemon juice
Directions:
  1. In large bowl, combine coleslaw and onion.
  2. If you don't have buttermilk, measure out 1/4 c milk and add 1 tbs red wine vinegar and let it "curdle."
  3. In separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients and mix until smooth consistency is reached.
  4. Pour dressing over coleslaw mix. Stir well and chill for 1+ hrs. ENJOY!

Source: Adapted from Sugar Cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails