Monday, August 16, 2010

Kansas City-Style Barbecue Sauce

I've put together barbecue sauce ingredients in a crockpot when making a barbecued meat dish of some sort but I've never actually made barbecue sauce. This Kansas City-style BBQ sauce is FANTASTIC! It's exactly what I love in a bbq sauce. Tangy and sweet yet spicy, too...gooooooood stuffffff!!! It's the pepper that gives this sauce a bit of a kick which was surprising to me because I don't think black pepper is spicy. I absolutely LOVE all foods spicy and wanted to add chili powder or cayenne pepper but held off with just the black pepper to see how much heat black pepper could bring. It was perfect! It was spicy but not so much that my kids couldn't eat it. This is a great sauce for my fam. YAY!

I used the last of my store-bought bbq sauce when making the sauce for pulled pork but wanted more bbq sauce for pulled pork sandwiches. I already had a rough day running errands with the kidlets so I was NOT about to drag them to the store for a bottle of sauce. This sauce was fab and I most likely will NEVER buy another bottle of barbecue sauce. Ok, maybe when in a pinch...

I didn't can the sauce...just thought it looked nicer in a jar than the old bbq sauce bottle. :)

Yummy bbq sauce on a tasty pulled pork and coleslaw sandwich. 
REALLY GOOD STUFF!

Kansas City-Style BBQ Sauce

Yield: 3 cups

Ingredients:
  • 2 c ketchup
  • 1 c water
  • 1/2 c apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 tbs onion powder
  • 6 tbs brown sugar
  • 2 tbs lemon juice
  • 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tbs ground black pepper (Use less if you don't like the heat.)
Directions:
  1. Combine all ingredients in med saucepan. 
  2. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer.
  3. Simmer gently till sauce is thick and smooth about 2+ hrs. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
  4. Enjoy on just about everything! I LOVE SAUCE!!!
Source: Adapted from Tiny Test Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails