Monday, August 9, 2010

Curt's Spicy Chicken

We enjoyed a lovely dinner with great friends a couple weekends ago. As we indulged in our wine and cheese, Curt whipped together the most awesome chicken. It was the best chicken I've had in quite some time. It was tender chicken breasts simmered in a super spicy tomato sauce with onions and green bell peppers. The sauce kept the chicken juicy and the jalapenos added a nice kick to the dish. It was a unique dish, one I'd never tasted before. It was like chicken cacciatore but with a Mexican twist. I love saucey dishes and this was perfect for me!

I couldn't stop thinking about the spicy chicken as I love ALL foods spicy. I just HAD to try to duplicate Curt's dish. As Hubby was eating his dinner, he mentioned that I forgot to add the cumin. Cumin schmumin. The chicken was still tasty but I'll definitely make this dish again WITH the cumin.

Curt's chicken was REALLY good but I think ALL meals made by others taste better. :)
My version turned out pretty darn good!

Curt's Spicy Chicken

Yield: 4-6 servings

Ingredients:


  • 4 chicken breasts cut into fourths

  • extra virgin olive oil

  • 1/2 onion, chopped

  • 1 yellow pepper, chopped (Green or red peppers are great in this dish, too.)

  • 1/2 tbs garlic, minced

  • jalapenos, chopped (remove seeds if you want less heat)

  • 1- 15 oz can tomato sauce (I had 6 roasted Roma tomatoes so I pureed those with 

  • the jalapenos in my food processor.)

  • 3 oz tomato paste (Add if you want a thicker sauce.)

  • cumin (forgot to add but will add 1/2 tsp next time)

  • garlic salt and pepper to taste (green onions, optional)
Directions:

  1. In large skillet over med. heat, add a little oil and saute onions, peppers and garlic for 3-5 mins then set aside.
  2. If making your own tomato sauce, add roasted tomatoes and jalapenos to food processor and pulse till smooth texture is achieved.
  3. In same skillet, sear chicken breasts over med. heat 3-4 mins per side or till browned on both sides.
  4. When chicken is browned, add onion mixture, tomato sauce (add tomato paste to chicken sauce if desired), garlic salt and pepper. Turn heat to low and simmer 30-40 mins. The longer you simmer, the better the flavor. 
  5. Serve over rice, pasta or eat with tortillas. :) ENJOY!
Source: Adapted from CMG.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails