Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"Enchilagnas"

A "lasagna" with a Mexican twist is an "enchilagna!" I layer the ingredients for enchiladas into a lasagna-like dish to save a few minutes of rolling time. :) I make enchiladas often so I can roll 'em up pretty fast, but I was cooking for a group of eight and wanted to whip together a quick casserole dish. The "enchilagnas" were perfect and my friends ate it up! :)

I got this recipe six years ago when my friend brought me a meal after having Son #2. I was active in MOMS Club and received meals every other day for two weeks. That was AWESOME because I was exhausted from caring for my 3 yr old and newborn son and the last thing I wanted to do was make dinner at the end of a busy day. I asked DP for her recipe because the dinner she brought was tasty. My boys and I made GREAT friends through MOMS Club and we have wonderful memories from our park days, outings and holiday activities. Look into a local chapter if you have little ones. You'll love it!  

Ok, so this is an easy recipe and one that comes together quickly. I'm all about quick and easy as those are the best meals for busy people. Check it out!

Layers of goodness.

The whole "enchilagna" with guacamole, black bean/corn dip, cilantro lime ricechipotle salsa and chips. YUH-UH-UMMMMM!

"Enchilagnas"

Yield: 6-8 servings

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb lean ground turkey (or ground beef)
  • 1 med. green pepper, chopped
  • 1 med. red pepper, chopped
  • 1 med. onion, chopped
  • 16 oz chunky salsa
  • 1 can- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 can- 15 oz corn (I omit if I'm serving my black bean/corn dip.)
  • 6 soft taco size flour tortillas (You can use 12 corn tortillas if you prefer.)
  • 1-2 c sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
optional toppings:
  • black olives, sliced
  • jalapenos, sliced
  • onions, chopped
  • cilantro, chopped
  • hot sauce
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375F.
  2. Cook turkey in large skillet. Drain when almost cooked through. Add peppers and onions to meat and cook another 5-6 mins or till veggies have softened.
  3. Stir in salsa, tomatoes and corn and bring to boil.
  4. In 13x9" dish, spoon 1 c meat mixture onto bottom of dish. Top with 3 flour tortillas to cover top of meat mixture. If using corn tortillas, you will cover meat with 6 corn tortillas across the top.
  5. Spoon half remaining meat mixture over tortillas. Sprinkle cheese across mixture. I do a thin layer.
  6. Top with remaining 3 flour tortillas (or 6 corn tortillas) and meat mixture. Cover with foil.
  7. Bake 25-30 mins. Remove from oven, uncover, sprinkle with some more cheese (more or less to taste) and put back in oven for add'l 5 mins or till cheese has melted. Let stand 5 mins before serving.
Source: Adapted from friend, DP.

TIP: You can make this dish a day in advance of serving. Prepare everything above to Step #6 then cover and refrigerate. To serve, bake covered at 375F for 45-50 mins or till heated through. Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese (I like a thin layer but lay on the cheese if you like it cheesy.) Put back in oven for add'l 5 mins or till cheese has melted. Let stand 5 mins before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails