Saturday, February 27, 2010

Black Bean/Corn Dip

A fabulous recipe I got from Kat about five years ago was for her black bean and corn dip. She brought it over when I had a get-together and I thought it was amazing. I couldn't stop eating her dip. It's really good stuff...like way good! I found myself going back to it throughout the evening, and with each fully loaded chip, I kept telling myself, "This is my last chip. For reals." Shoot, I probably ate half the dip that night. That's how addicted I was to her dip! Since then, I've made it for potluck parties, my own parties and as a side to go with my Mexican meals if I don't make salsa. I get compliments on it every time. Thanks, Kat, for hooking me up with such a delicious dip!

Light and refreshing.

I portion it out so I don't overdo it. :)

MMMMMM....

To refrain from eating a whole bag of chips with this dip, I eat it on my salads.
Carne Asada Salad...YUM YUM!!!

Black Bean/Corn Dip

Yield: 8-10 servings*

Ingredients:
  • 1- 15 oz can corn, drained
  • 1- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2-3 vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and diced (I used grape tomatoes for this batch)
  • 3-4 jalapeƱos, seeded and minced
  • 1/2 small red onion, minced
  • 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
  • cilantro, minced (I used half bunch)
  • 4 limes, juiced (I LOVE my Pampered Chef Citrus Press!)
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tbs Emeril's Essence ** 
  • 1-2 avocados, pitted and chopped (add just before serving)
Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, mix together ingredients except avocados.
  2. Refrigerate for 2+ hrs so flavors can mingle.
  3. Add chopped avocados prior to serving and fold into dip gently.
  4. ENJOY!!!
Notes: 

*If you're "dipped" out, use the leftovers in soups, quesadillas or enchiladas.

**This was the first time I made the dip with Emeril's Essence. I usually use garlic salt, garlic powder, sea salt, pepper, onion powder and cayenne pepper. Since those ingredients (plus some) are already in the "Essence," I decided to give it a try. It was great!

Source: Adapted from Kat, my chef friend. She finally started a blog...YAY!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With or without the crumbled chips, this is a delicious salad.


I love this dip so much that I could probably eat the whole bowl by myself with a big bag of chips. Not good for my waistline so I've been eating the dip as a salad topper instead. That's a much healthier choice and I don't feel guilty when I pile on the dip. :) I use it as my "dressing" and it's yummilicious! I add chicken or beef and sometimes crumble some chips on top to make a "taco salad." It's filling, healthy and delicious.





Salad with Black Bean/Corn Dip 

Ingredients:
  • lettuce, washed and chopped (any green leafy type would taste great)
  • 1-2 c chicken or beef, cooked and shredded 
  • 1 c orange bell pepper, chopped (additional veggies up to you)
  • black bean/corn dip- amount up to you but I add enough to cover top of salad
  • tortilla chips, crumbled and sprinkled on top
  • add avocado, pepitas, shredded cheese and/or dollop of sour cream, optional
  • Mexican Ranch Dressing, optional (I don't use it as the dip is enough "dressing" for me)
Directions:
  1. Place lettuce in bowl.
  2. Add chicken or beef.
  3. Throw in additional veggies if you'd like.
  4. Before adding to salad, give dip a good stir and scoop from bottom with LOTS of lime juice. Cover top of salad with dip.
  5. Add crumbled tortilla chips and additional toppings/dressing if you'd like.
  6. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails