Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Banana Bread

Back in high school, my BFF's mom would make us really tasty banana bread. It was the best banana bread EVER!  Mmmm...mmmmm.....moist, banana-y, sweet and buttery. I like to think this is an old family recipe from Poland, but when I asked O. about the recipe, she couldn't even remember where she got it. :) As much as I L-O-V-E O.'s original banana bread, I cut down on the butter and sugar and I think it still tastes great. Since my son is allergic to eggs, I eliminate the eggs that this recipe calls for, too. Bananas are a "binder" according to Post Punk Kitchen and can be used in lieu of eggs. Since this is banana bread, my egg substitute for this recipe is an extra banana and it turns out GREAT!

All of my recipes are egg-free. The only cake I have yet to bake eggless is the Chocoflan. Some day, I'll work on that. I have learned several techniques for egg-free baking thanks to Post Punk Kitchen and Madhuram's Eggless Cooking. If baking vegan, use soy milk instead of milk and Nucoa instead of butter. Easy peasy! 

Ohhhhh, the bananalicious smell! Good stuff!!!

My fam LOVES this banana bread! 
I truly think this is THE BEST BANANA BREAD EVER!

Banana Bread

Ingredients:
  • 1 c sugar (I used 1/2 c organic cane sugar)
  • 1 stick butter (I used 1/2 stick), room temp.
  • 2 eggs (I omit due to son's egg allergy)
  • 2-3 bananas (I always use 3-4), mashed
  • 2 c flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 c chocolate chips (optional)
  • 1/2 c chopped nuts (optional)- I avoid due to son's treenut allergies)
Directions:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350F.
  2. Mix together sugar, butter, eggs and bananas. 
  3. In separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt. Then add to banana mixture. I avoid dirtying an extra bowl and put remaining ingredients directly into the banana mixture. 
  4. Add chocolate chips and mix well. 
  5. Bake at 350F for ~1 hr. Test for doneness with toothpick.
  6. Cool completely before cutting and serving. ENJOY!
Source: Adapted from O.O.

Egg-free links:  Post Punk Kitchen and Madhuram's Eggless Cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails