Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Warm Beet Salad

The first thing I pulled out of my CSA basket was a bundle of beautiful beets. The boys and I LOVE beets as they're naturally sweet and delicious. Definitely nature's candy in my opinion. I was excited to cook 'em up and this time I served the beet greens, too. Those who think beets are gross and taste like dirt need to try real beets. They taste nothing like canned beets. I promise! :) 

I served this as a side dish with Korean BBQ Beef. Son #1 (he's 8) ate the beets and greens in his Korean wraps. Son #2 (he's 6) and I ate the beets and greens on their own. After Son #2 asked Daddy why he didn't put beets on his plate, he reluctantly took a very small beet and didn't even try the greens. Not one little piece. :( Oh well, at least my kids will eat veggies from my CSA basket with me. :)

Oh, the colors and the fresh flavors!
ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!!!

Warm Beet Salad

Yield: 2-3 servings

Ingredients:
  • bundle of beets and their greens (about 5-6 beets but I wish I had MORE!)
  • 1/2 tsp olive oil
  • 2 tbs water (more or less depending on amount of beets and greens)
  • sea salt
Directions:
  1. Cut beets from greens and wash well. Since I had organic beets, I didn't peel mine, but peel yours if you prefer. Cut in half or quarters depending on size of beets. Wear gloves if you don't want red-stained fingers. :)
  2. Cut greens from beet stems, wash, chop and set aside.
  3. Add olive oil to medium frying pan and heat over over medium heat. Add beets and saute. Add a little water, cover and cook about 5-8 until beets are tender. Add more water if needed.
  4. When beets are tender, add beet greens and cover and cook about 1-2 mins until greens are wilted.
  5. Stir beets and greens and add a little sea salt. Mix some more.
  6. Put warm beet salad in serving bowl and eat immediately. It's delicious!

Notes: I prefer fresh beets with a sprinkle of sea salt because that's how my Mom serves them. So earthy, sweet and delicious! I'm sure they taste great with a drizzle of honey, soy sauce or sesame oil. Whatever you do, try a bite plain first. You'll be surprised at how fabulous this veggie is! I'm sure this will taste great as a cold salad, too. 

Source: Adapted from my Mom and La Fuji Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails