Sunday, February 28, 2010

Carne Asada Enchiladas

As I was grilling carne asada, I realized I didn't want to eat meat for dinner. Even with all the Mexican fixings that I provide, I just wasn't feeling it. Weird. Since I wasn't in the mood for beef on its own, I made carne asada enchiladas instead. You might think it's a "waste" to use carne asada for enchiladas but it was delicious! I believe great food should have great ingredients so I thought it was fantastic! The carne asada filling made for a "gourmet" enchilada. We enjoyed it!

For the red sauce, I tried a recipe that Gina's WW Recipes posted the other day. I was drawn to it because the sauce called for chipotles in adobo sauce. I LOVE the smokey flavor and the heat from chipotles in adobo! Ok, ok, I'll also admit that I was excited to try a version of red sauce using canned tomato sauce. :) Last month, I made red chile enchilada sauce using fresh tomatoes but it was a lot of work for a sauce that was only "good." Gina's sauce is easy to make and tastes fantastic. I'll definitely make it again!

Carne Asada- Flap meat (I usually use flank or skirt steak) with a cinnamon chipotle rub, minced garlic, cilantro and juice from 3 limes. 

Sliced thin and at an angle. Cut against the grain.
For enchiladas, I cut the slices into bite-sized pieces.

The perfect amount of "spicy."

You've gotta try this!

Carne Asada Enchiladas

Yield: 3 servings, 2 enchiladas per person

Ingredients:
  • 6 tortillas (fajita size)
  • cheese (cheddar or Mexican mix)- I used 6 slices...I think I use less cheese by using slices vs shredded. 
  • cooking spray
sauce:
  • 1 tbs garlic, minced
  • 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced (use 2 for more heat)
  • 1- 15.5 oz can tomato sauce
  • ~12 oz chicken stock (I used tomato sauce can and filled it 3/4 full)
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder (I omitted)
  • salt and pepper to taste
filling:
  • 1-2 c carne asada, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1- 15.5 oz can hominy (or veggie of choice)
  • 1/4 c red sauce from above to "wet" the ingredients
Directions:
  1. Spray med. saucepan with oil and saute garlic. Add sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 mins.
  2. Preheat oven to 350F.
  3. In med. bowl, add filling ingredients and mix well. Spray 8x8" baking dish with oil. Coat bottom of dish with a little red sauce, too.
  4. Put 1/3 c beef mixture into tortilla and roll it. Place in baking dish, seam-side down. Roll remaining tortillas and place in baking dish.
  5. Top with red sauce to cover enchiladas and bake uncovered on middle rack for 20 mins (I froze my leftover sauce).
  6. Turn off oven, remove dish, top with cheese and place back in warm oven for 5-7 mins to melt cheese.
Notes: Top with guacamole, sour cream, smokey chipotle salsa, black bean/corn dip or hot sauce. ENJOY!!!

Souce: Adapted from Gina's WW Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails