Monday, March 1, 2010

Stir Fried Greens

When I got home and went through the contents of my CSA basket, I couldn't identify a couple of the greens so I did a google search to see if I could figure it out. I wasn't sure if the greens pictured below were collard greens or swiss chard and it was hard to confirm via google images. When I was in the grocery store, I stopped by the produce section to check out the differences between the two. Although they look very much alike, swiss chard is a "fluffy" leaf whereas collard greens are a flat leaf. I believe I have swiss chard. :)

I really like greens so this is a great veggie for me. In fact, I'll try using this for wraps next time as the lettuce I use (green/red leaf lettuce or romaine) falls apart because my boys overstuff them. This hearty green leaf should hold up well for them. 

This is swiss chard, right?

Healthy and yummy!

Stir Fried Greens

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients: 
  • 1 bunch greens, sliced diagonally in 1-2" widths
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1/2 c celery, sliced
  • 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/8 tsp ground ginger (use 1 tbs fresh minced ginger if you have it)
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 tbs soy sauce
  • 1 tbs sesame seeds, toasted
Directions:
  1. Combine soy sauce and sesame seeds in small bowl and set aside.
  2. Prep veggies and then heat non-stick skillet over high heat. Add a little sesame oil and cook garlic and ginger. Reduce heat to med-high and stir for 30 seconds.
  3. Add veggies and stir 2-3 mins or until greens are wilted.
  4. Add soy sauce mixture, stir and cover. Steam for 3-4 mins. Serve immediately.
Notes: Next time, I'll leave out the soy sauce and add a sprinkle of sea salt. I'd like to enjoy the flavors of the fresh organic veggies. :)

Source: Adapted from South Coast Farms' recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails