I wanted a festive cake for our couples' game night event so it was a good time to try the 7-Up cake. I should've done a trial cake first but I decided to just go for it. If it didn't turn out, I figured I could toss it or save it for my boys. I made a whipped cream filling with sliced strawberries and topped it with dark chocolate frosting. It was DELICIOUS! My friends were AMAZED that I baked a cake with 7-Up. Honestly...I was amazed, too. :) It was easy to whip together, it's a "healthier" version of cake without oil and eggs and it tasted GREAT!
This 7-up cake was a HIT!
- Pillsbury Moist Supreme Classic Yellow cake mix (I believe any boxed cake mix will work.)
- 1 can 7-Up (12 oz)
- dark chocolate frosting (or frosting of choice)
- 1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbs sugar
- 1 c strawberries, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Pour cake mix into mixing bowl, add 7-Up and mix well using hand mixer.
- Spray baking dish with oil and pour into prepared batter.
- Bake 29-33 mins (more or less depending on pan used). Check for doneness using toothpick.
- Make whipped cream filling, add sliced strawberries and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Cool completely before removing from pan. When cooled, add whipped cream/strawberry layer, assemble top layer of cake and then add frosting. ENJOY!!!