Friday, March 26, 2010

7-Up Cake

A couple years ago, my Hubby's 90 year old Great Aunt told me she used to bake her son cakes using 7-Up in lieu of eggs due to his allergies. She claimed that a can of 7-Up and a box of cake mix would make a nice, moist cake. Because I've been experimenting with other egg replacers and I never have 7-Up in the house, I never tried it. Great Aunt also baked these cakes many years ago so I wasn't sure if the 7-Up cake would really work out. Last week, my vegan friend mentioned using Diet 7-Up to bake a cake so I was excited to try it out. It was time to give it a go!

I wanted a festive cake for our couples' game night event so it was a good time to try the 7-Up cake. I should've done a trial cake first but I decided to just go for it. If it didn't turn out, I figured I could toss it or save it for my boys. I made a whipped cream filling with sliced strawberries and topped it with dark chocolate frosting. It was DELICIOUS! My friends were AMAZED that I baked a cake with 7-Up. Honestly...I was amazed, too. :) It was easy to whip together, it's a "healthier" version of cake without oil and eggs and it tasted GREAT!

I could've baked the cake for another 2-3 mins and I definitely should've let it cool completely before removing it from the pan. I was pressed for time, and in my rush, a bit of the center crumbled.

But...I pulled it off!

I added breast cancer pink ribbon sprinkles.
This 7-up cake was a HIT!

7-Up Cake

Yield: 9" round cake (or pan of choice)

Ingredients:
  • Pillsbury Moist Supreme Classic Yellow cake mix (I believe any boxed cake mix will work.)
  • 1 can 7-Up (12 oz)
  • dark chocolate frosting (or frosting of choice)
whipped cream filling:
  • 1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tbs sugar
  • 1 c strawberries, sliced
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Pour cake mix into mixing bowl, add 7-Up and mix well using hand mixer.
  3. Spray baking dish with oil and pour into prepared batter.
  4. Bake 29-33 mins (more or less depending on pan used). Check for doneness using toothpick.
  5. Make whipped cream filling, add sliced strawberries and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
  6. Cool completely before removing from pan. When cooled, add whipped cream/strawberry layer, assemble top layer of cake and then add frosting. ENJOY!!!
Source: Inspired by Hubby's Great Aunt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails