Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Foodie Blog 'n Soup

I started my foodie blog at Hubby's suggestion and Meghan's blog at You're Gonna Bake It After All is one of the first ones I found online. She's also the first blogger I ever emailed and the first blog I ever posted a comment on. She's even posted comments on my blog and makes me feel like I'm doing something right here. Thanks, Meghan!

Even though I'm Internet savvy (I have to be since we run an online snowboard shop), I seriously had no idea about the HUGE foodie community out there. There are TONS of GREAT recipes out there. When I started my blog, my goal was to try something new at least 5 times a week and to try new recipes from my numerous cookbooks. I never got around to cookbook cooking because I found everything I wanted through foodgawker. When friends kept telling me about the movie Julie and Julia and commenting that my blogging reminded them of the movie, I had to watch it. Yeah, my goal was not unique...LOL!

I had organic celery and potatoes leftover from my CSA basket. The fastest way to eat them up was to make a soup with the veggies. I roasted the celery, boiled the potatoes and then processed them in a food processor. Easy and delicious. This was my first attempt at potato soup. It was great!

I made this soup with turkey bacon...it was GOOD!

Celery, Potato and Turkey Bacon Soup

Yield: 4-6 servings

Ingredients:
  • 2.5 c chicken stock
  • 1 whole celery bunch
  • 6-8 slices turkey bacon, cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 tbs garlic
  • 4 small potatoes, cubed and boiled 
  • 1/2 c milk (I used half and half)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • curly parsley, chopped
  • cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
Directions:
  1. Leave branches whole and roast celery at 350F for 20-30 mins. Let cool, remove "strings," dice and set aside.
  2. Cube potatoes, boil till fully cooked, drain and set aside.
  3. In stock pot over med-high heat, cook turkey bacon. Set aside and keep warm in bowl. 
  4. In same pot, cook onions, celery, garlic, salt and pepper. Add chicken stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 mins. 
  5. When done, CAREFULLY process veggies using a hand immersion blender if you have one. I used a food processor. Process celery (strain out stock) with caution to avoid a soup explosion. Trust me. I got burns on my chest and arms the first time I tried to blend soup! Blend until smooth. Return the pureed celery to the stock pot. Stir well.
  6. Puree the potatoes and add back to soup when smooth. Leave a few potato chunks for texture if you'd like. Stir well to mix potatoes into the stock for a smooth consistency.
  7. Add cooked turkey bacon and milk. Stir well and heat through. 
  8. Add salt and pepper to taste. Dish into serving bowl and garnish with chopped parsley. Add a little shredded cheddar cheese if you'd like. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails