Thursday, March 25, 2010

White Sauce Enchiladas

I'm still trying to figure out how to make the white sauce that's served on the enchiladas at Amigos in Bishop, CA. We eat there every time we head up to Mammoth. It's SOOO good! I like to try new dishes, but every now and then, I'm drawn back to their white sauce enchiladas. I want to replicate that sauce! 

Last month, I made white enchiladas with bechamel sauce. That was good but not the same white sauce from Amigos that I was craving. I came up with another version of white sauce to see if I could come close to Amigos' sauce. The sauce I made is similar but definitely not the same. I'm getting close though! This sour cream sauce was DELICIOUS!

Hubby and I hosted a couples' game night and we had so much fun with our friends. The guys played poker and the girls played other games. We had a blast! Because it was a last minute decision to make enchiladas for the group, I didn't have a chance to do a trial run to see how the sauce would turn out. Luckily, our friends LOVED this. I'm so glad it got rave reviews!

Enchiladas are rolled and ready for the oven. 

Lots of compliments on the enchiladas. :) YAY!!!

Add salsa verde and serve with a side of Mexican Salad.
MMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!
¡Muy delicioso!

White Sauce Enchiladas with Chicken

Yield: 10 enchiladas

Ingredients:
  • 10 flour tortillas (fajita size)
  • 1-2 c shredded jack cheese
  • 1- 28 oz can green enchilada sauce 
  • cooking spray
sauce:
  • 2-3 c green enchilada sauce
  • 2 c nonfat sour cream
filling:
  • 2-3 large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (I used a whole baked chicken)
  • 1- 15.5 oz can corn (or black beans, hominy, bell peppers...pretty much anything!)
  • 1 c green enchilada sauce (or enough to wet the chicken and corn mixture)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and spray 9x13" baking dish with oil.
  2. Mix the sauce ingredients and set aside.
  3. In large bowl, add filling ingredients and mix well. Pour a little green enchilada sauce to coat bottom of dish.
  4. Put ~1/3 c filling into one end of tortilla and roll it. Place in baking dish, seam-side down. Roll remaining tortillas and place in dish.
  5. Top with white sauce to cover enchiladas and bake uncovered on middle rack for 20-25 mins.
  6. Turn off oven, remove dish, top with cheese and place back in warm oven for 5-7 mins to melt cheese. 
  7. Top with guacamole, smokey chipotle salsa, black bean/corn dip or hot sauce. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails