Friday, February 12, 2010

Great Guacamole

I LOVE Mexican food and I LOVE fresh guacamole. I love it even more on Day 2 when all the flavors have had a chance to mingle. OHHHHHH....YUMMERS!

I make guacamole when I have get-togethers and friends always LOVE this dip. I refill the bowl several times, and by the end of the evening, the guac is GONE. The bowl is always scraped clean. It's that good! Occasionally, a friend will ask me how to make guacamole. It's so simple but I must admit it took me many-a-batches before I got my flavors the way I like it. Here it is... 

Fresh guac is the BEST!!!!!!!! 

Great Guacamole

Yield: 8-10 servings

Ingredients:
  • 4-5 ripe Haas avocados, sliced in half and pitted 
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 2-3 vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and diced (Hubby would prefer tomato-less guac, but since I'm the one making the dip and I love tomatoes, they're goin' in!)
  • 3-4 jalapenos, seeded and minced (I prefer serrano or habanero peppers but they're too spicy for my kids)
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
  • cilantro (amount is up to you but I use half a bundle), washed and chopped
  • 2-4 limes, juiced
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. In large bowl, use spoon to scoop out flesh of avocado. Use spoon or fork to gently mash avocado but leave it a little chunky.
  2. Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
  3. Refrigerate at least 1 hr before serving to let flavors mingle.
Notes: 
To prevent guacamole from browning and looking unappetizing, use A LOT of lime. I use 3-4 limes and never have a problem with browning. The lime works for me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails