Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Gyros with Tzatziki sauce

I wanted to make something different with our leftover Greek chicken. I usually make soup or enchiladas but I wasn't up for either of those. I browsed my favorite foodie blogs for chicken recipes and found one for chicken gyros. I had all the ingredients so I was good to go!

As I was making the gyros, I thought of the first time I ate one. It was in Amsterdam about 17 years ago. The man behind the counter was smoking a cigarette and prepping food. Gross, I know, but every restaurant had smokers behind the counter so it wasn't like I could choose another restaurant. Once I got over the cigarette, I was able to enjoy my gyro. That was also the first time I ate lamb, and though I realized it wasn't my favorite type of meat, I thought the gyro with all its flavors was pretty darn good. 

The chicken gyros I made were pretty easy to whip together. We thought they were fantastic! 

MMMMM......the flat bread, the chicken, the veggies, the tzatziki...YUM!
This was delicious!

Chicken Gyros

Ingredients:
  • 2 large chicken breasts, grilled (I used leftover Greek chicken)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • tomatoes, remove seeds and diced
  • 1/4 c red onions, diced
  • lettuce leaves (I used Romaine)
  • tzatziki sauce (recipe included below)
  • flat bread (or pocketless pitas)
Marinade:
  • 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • 2 tsp red wine vinegar
  • 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 tbs lowfat Greek yogurt (I used the tzatziki sauce)
  • 1 tbs dried oregano
Directions:
  1. Put marinade ingredients in ziploc bag, hold bag tightly closed and shake it up till mixed well. Put chicken in the ziploc/marinade bag and marinate chicken for 1-2 hours in fridge. 
  2. Make flat bread while chicken marinates. Keep flat bread in tortilla warmer or wrap in damp towel.
  3. Preheat grill. Season chicken with salt and pepper and grill until cooked through. Let chicken rest for 4-6 mins before slicing into strips. If using leftover chicken, saute in its marinade in large saute pan till heated through. 
  4. Heat pitas/flat bread on gas stovetop, a few seconds per side. Top with lettuce leaf (leaves), chicken, tzatziki, tomatoes and onions. 
Source: Adapted from You're Gonna Bake It After All and Elly Says Opa!

Tzatziki Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 8 oz lowfat, strained Greek yogurt (I used plain yogurt as I didn't have Greek yogurt)
  • 1/2 cucumber, shredded (Hubby's not a big cucumber fan so I left this out)
  • 3-5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp white wine vinegar
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
Directions:
  1. Shred cucumber and squeeze out liquid using paper towels.
  2. Mix together all ingredients and refrigerate for 1 hr before serving.
Notes: Save leftover sauce for veggie dipping sauce or as sandwich spread. A healthier alternative than Ranch or mayonnaise. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails