Sunday, February 14, 2010

Greek Chicken

Baking a chicken is so easy in my Pampered Chef Covered Baker. I LOVE THAT THING! It was expensive but I've used it so many times that I've gotten my monies worth for sure. I love that I can cook a whole chicken in the microwave in 35 minutes if I'm pressed for time. It's fast and easy and the chicken is always tender and juicy. I can also bake a whole chicken in the oven if I have 1-2 hours of prep time for dinner. Since I bought chicken and Feta cheese from Costco, Greek chicken was on the menu tonight!

The chicken bakes evenly in the Baker. 
I'll use the bones and make homemade chicken stock.

Greek Chicken

Ingredients:
  • 4-5 lb whole chicken
  • sea salt and pepper to taste
  • oregano
  • thyme
  • garlic powder
  • 1 onion, quartered
  • 1 lemon
  • 6-8 cloves garlic
  • Italian flat leaf parsley (I used a BIG handful)
  • Feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375F. Clean chicken and pat dry.
  2. Squeeze half lemon juice on outside of chicken and other half inside cavity.
  3. Sprinkle seasonings evenly over entire chicken.
  4. Place onion, garlic, parsley and used lemon inside cavity.
  5. Place chicken on roasting tray in foil-lined baking dish. If you have a Covered Baker, this is a great time to use it.
  6. Roast uncovered for 1 1/2 - 2 hrs or until meat thermometer reads 180F. If using your Covered Baker, bake COVERED for 1 - 1 1/2 hrs.
  7. Baste chicken after first hour and repeat every 15 mins. If you want crispy skin, don't baste during the last hour. If using your Covered Baker, you do not need to baste the chicken as it bakes in its juices and remains tender and moist from the baking process.
  8. When baked thoroughly, remove from oven and let chicken rest for 5-8 mins before carving. Serve with Feta cheese sprinkled on top.
Suggestions: Serve with salad, rice (squeeze a little lemon on top) and/or veggies.
Source: For the Love of Cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails