Thursday, February 25, 2010

Chicken Marsala

There's something wonderfully delicious about chicken, garlic, marsala and mushrooms. YUM! The first time I made chicken marsala was in Dec. and we all thought it was fabulous. It was a quick dish to put together yet it tasted like I spent countless hours in the kitchen. :) The fam was quite impressed with the incredible flavors of the chicken and the sauce. SUCCESS!

I used white mushrooms the first time but I wish I would've made more sauce...it was SO good!

For mock marsala, I baked a whole chicken and used baby bella mushrooms for the sauce.
BOTH meals were great!

Because I had a whole chicken that had to get baked, I took a major shortcut when I made "chicken marsala" the second time. I cooked a whole chicken in 35 mins in the microwave using my Pampered Chef Covered Baker. Dinners are a breeze with that thing and the chicken turns out tender, juicy, moist and delicious! Don't be afraid of the microwave. :) I could go on and on about how much I LOVE that baker. Anyways, I whipped together a modified version of chicken marsala. Since the chicken wasn't pan-fried/sauteed, the second version was a healthier one. It worked out well and tasted great! All I had to do was steam organic broccoli from my CSA basket, make the mushroom sauce and slice organic pears for dessert. Easy peasy!

Chicken Marsala

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients:
  • 4 chicken cutlets (or 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts pounded to 1/4-1/2" thick)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 c flour
  • 2 tbs oil
Sauce:
  • 3 tbs butter
  • 1/2-3/4 small onion, minced
  • 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
  • 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 c Marsala wine
  • 3/4 c chicken broth
  • 1 tbs fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tbs fresh parsley, minced (I omitted since I didn't have any)
Directions:
  1. If you have thin chicken cutlets, go to step 2. If you have chicken breasts, place between sheets of wax paper and pound with flat side of kitchen mallet until flattened to 1/4-1/2" thick. If using whole chicken, cook your chicken then skip to step 5.
  2. Season cutlets with salt and pepper. Dredge cutlets in flour to coat and shake off excess.
  3. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add cutlets and cook until golden brown, 2-3 mins on each side. Transfer to large plate and tent with foil.
  4. Reduce heat to med-high and melt 1 tbs butter in same skillet used for chicken. Saute onions and mushrooms 3-5 mins until browned. Add garlic and cook another 1-2 mins. Transfer mushroom mixture to bowl and tent with foil.
  5. Prepare sauce. Add Marsala and broth to empty skillet and bring to boil over high heat. Cook about 5 mins until reduced to 1/3-1/2 c. 
  6. Reduce heat to medium-low, return chicken and their juices to skillet and heat through about 2-3 mins. Transfer chicken to serving platter.
  7. Turn off heat, add remaining 2 tbs butter to skillet, lemon juice, parsley and mushroom mixture. Mix well and then pour sauce over chicken. Serve immediately and ENJOY!
Source: Adapted from Houseboat Eats

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails