Sunday, February 7, 2010

Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes

A couple weeks ago, I bought a small container of ricotta cheese so I could make lasagna rolls again. Though they're delicious, I haven't been in the mood for them. I was tired of looking at the untouched ricotta container so I treated the fam to ricotta pancakes this morning. Pancakes are so easy to make yet I rarely make 'em. The only kind of mix we can use due to my son's egg allergy is Bisquick (other brands have egg powder in the mix ingredients). Pancakes without eggs are a little denser and flatter so the addition of ricotta made the pancakes fluffy like "regular" pancakes. My lil' guy really liked these. Actually, we all really liked these!

Mmm....blueberries!

Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes

Yield: 12- 6" pancakes

Ingredients:
  • 2 c pancake mix (I used Bisquick)
  • 1 c milk (add add'l 1/2 c milk if batter is really thick)
  • 1/4 c 100% blue agave sweetener 
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I forgot to add this)
  • 1 tsp poppy seeds
  • 2 tsp lemon juice (add zest, too)
  • 1 c ricotta cheese
  • 1 c blueberries (fresh or frozen) plus add'l 1/2 c for topping
  • butter for griddle
  • maple syrup (optional)
Directions:
  1. In stand mixer bowl, add pancake mix and stir. Slowly add milk, agave, vanilla, poppy seeds, lemon juice and mix well. 
  2. Add ricotta and mix until thoroughly combined. 
  3. Remove bowl from stand mixer and gently fold in blueberries.
  4. Heat griddle over medium heat and brush with melted butter. Cook in batches. Spoon 1/4 c batter onto griddle and cook about 3 mins per side until golden brown. Repeat until batter is gone.
  5. Top with add'l blueberries and serve with maple syrup. 

Note: The taste from the poppy seeds and the lemon juice in these pancakes were mild, so next time, I'll either leave those out or increase the ingredients (maybe 2 tsp poppy seeds and juice of half a lemon and the zest). Also, I'll omit the agave sweetener since we like maple syrup on our pancakes.


Source: Adapted from foodnetwork.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails