Monday, February 15, 2010

Red Velvet Cupcakes

This post is dedicated to my Hubby's cousin, Deanna, who battled breast cancer when she was 6 mos pregnant. She had a mastectomy and three rounds of chemo in Dec. '08 WHILE pregnant and gave birth to a healthy boy in Mar. '09. Amazing!

In June '09, I participated in the AVON Walk for Breast Cancer walk in San Francisco. I raised $2,100 and walked 39.3 miles (Day 1= 26.2 miles and Day 2= 13.1 miles) for my Mom, Deanna and everyone else that has been affected by this horrible disease. It was truly startling to see thousands of people in pink. There are way too many people affected by breast cancer. :( Please remember to get your annual check-ups and take time to do your monthly self exams. I registered to walk this Sept. in Santa Barbara. If you could drop by my fundraising page and make a small donation, I would GREATLY appreciate it. 

Last month, Deanna started feeling a lot of bone pain. Tests showed the cancer had metastasized, and by Feb. 5th, she was sent home to spend her final days with her family. She was given a few days to three weeks. I was shocked to say the least and even more shocked by how quickly she deteriorated. She passed away on the 11th. :( Life is so unfair sometimes. I just don't get it.

Today was Deanna's service to celebrate her beautiful life. I am thankful I had an opportunity to have known such a wonderful woman and I am also thankful she is now pain-free. 

1970-2010
Deanna, 39 yrs young, mother of 3 with her miracle baby.
She was absolutely amazing, smiled often, stayed positive and was so courageous. 
Deanna you are missed and loved by many!

OXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX

I baked Red Velvet Cupcakes today. Red Velvet = Love. Deanna enjoyed baking and I know she would've enjoyed these!

My kind of "Red Delicious." :)

Let's find a CURE!

A mild-flavored, moist cupcake with a hint of chocolate and sweet, buttercream frosting.
YUMMY! 

Red Velvet Cupcakes

Yield: 12 cupcakes

Ingredients:
  • 1 c milk
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/4 c flour
  • 2 tbs cornstarch
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tbs cocoa powder
  • 3/4 c sugar
  • 1/3 c canola oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tbs red food coloring
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
  2. Whisk milk and apple cider vinegar in measuring cup and set aside a few minutes to curdle. If you prefer eggs, skip the milk/vinegar mixture and use 2 eggs.
  3. In stand mixer bowl, mix flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder.
  4. Slowly mix in sugar, oil and vanilla. Add milk/cider mixture. Mix well.
  5. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 20-22 mins or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
  6. Transfer to cooling rack and cool completely before frosting.
Source: Adapted from foodnetwork.com

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

Yield: 12 cupcakes

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 stick butter
  • 2 tbs shortening
  • 1 1/2 c powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tbs milk (more or less for right consistency)
Directions:
  1. Cream butter and shortening.
  2. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and milk until combined.
  3. Pipe or spread onto cupcakes
Notes: If using Nucoa margarine instead of butter, you do not need the shortening.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Deanna sounds like such an amazing woman. It is so sad that she won't get to see her baby grow up. At least your husband's family will make sure her son knows her story of strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thank you, Deanna was amazing indeed. I miss her dearly.

    I can't sit back and continue to cry so I'm doing something about it. I'm raising money for breast cancer research in hopes for a cure. Please check my walk page to see what I'm up to. Thanks! :)

    http://info.avonfoundation.org/site/TR/Walk/LosAngeles?px=4399975&pg=personal&fr_id=1960

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails