Monday, March 22, 2010

Chuck Roast Chili

Last Oct., I went to a Halloween/birthday party in our neighborhood. It was a potluck party and we ended up with four different chilis. It felt like a chili cook-off with the various chili and cornbread spread. There was a vegan, mild, medium and my favorite was the spicy, "everything-in-it" chili. That spicy chili was the BEST! It had several different meats in it, a variety of beans and lots of flavor. YUM! I will have to get that recipe...

I used chuck roast in my chili and it was melt-in-your-mouth delish. I thought the beef would be tough but it was perfect. I'm not sure why I opted for chili because it was a warm day today but I'm glad I made it. I wish I had prepped it in the morning so it had the entire day to simmer for best flavor. Even with the measly 2.5 hr cook time, I LOVED this! I thought I ate the best chili last Oct. but this is a really close runner-up. :) 

Because the chili turned out a little soupier than I like, I changed the recipe a bit the second time around and it turned out great. Updated recipe is posted below.

This was so good I had seconds!

Chuck Roast Chili

Yield: 8-10 servings

Ingredients:
  • 1-2 lbs chuck roast, bite-size chunks
  • 2-3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 tbs garlic, minced
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced (Red, orange, green or red would taste great, too.)
  • 1- 16 oz cans diced tomatoes
  • 1- 15 oz cans tomato sauce
  • 1- 7 oz can green chiles, diced (If you want heat, add sliced jalapenos WITH the seeds.)
  • 1- 16 oz chili beans (do not drain)
  • 1- 16 oz kidney beans (drain)
  • 1- 16 oz white beans (drain)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 tbs cumin powder
  • 4 tbs chili powder
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 2 tbs vinegar
topping ideas:
  • diced onion 
  • shredded cheese
  • sour cream
  • crackers
  • hot sauce
  • sliced jalapeƱos (fresh or pickled jalapeƱos from the jar are great, too)
  • cornbread
  • rice
Directions:
  1. In large Dutch oven over med-high, heat oil. Add beef and cook for 3-5 mins, stirring occasionally.
  2. Add onion, garlic and bell pepper. Saute for 3-5 mins.
  3. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chiles and beans. Stir well.
  4. Add spices and vinegar and stir. Cover and simmer 6+ hrs on stove top. If you prefer, you can choose to cook in oven at 250F or transfer chili to crock pot and cook on low.
  5. Stir the chili really well before dishing into bowls. Add toppings, serve with cornbread and ENJOY!
TIP: This makes A LOT of chili so when it comes to room temp, put small portions in a ziploc bag or airtight container and freeze it. That way, the next time you have a hankering for chili, the work's already done. Put the frozen chili in the fridge and it'll thaw within a day or two. If you want to eat it immediately, take it out of the ziploc, cover dish, and warm it slowly in the microwave at 50% power.  

Source: Adapted from For the Love of Cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails