Sunday, March 7, 2010

Wellness & Candied Carrots

What you put in your body is your fuel, and in order to "run right," you need to feed it properly. My goal is for my boys to understand how important it is to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables for a balanced diet. When I serve a fruit or veggie they don't particularly care for, we talk about the benefits of it, and they'll always eat 3-4 bites for me. They're very good eaters so I know I'm getting my message across. :) I believe what you feed your body helps maintain good health and helps fend off illnesses, too. Whole foods = healthy bodies. Makes sense to me!

I'm also making healthier food choices because I registered for my second AVON Walk for Breast Cancer walk. Last July, I walked 39.3 miles in San Francisco, and this Sept., I'll walk 39.3 miles in Santa Barbara. I'll raise a minimum of $1800 to participate but I hope to raise much more. Here's a link to my fundraising page. I hope you believe in my cause and will donate towards my walk. A donation does not need to be a large amount. Every bit helps and it all adds up. I thank you in advance! I'm walking for Deanna (1970-2010), my Mom (Survivor) and every woman in my life as we all deserve to be cancer-free.

I must say how happy I am that I signed up for CSA baskets again. I stopped getting baskets a few years ago because I was the only one eating the veggies. It was challenging for me to eat everything by myself so some of it would spoil and go to waste. Now that my boys are older and eating more, we're eating all the veggies and even my Hubby is taking a small nibble here and there. YAY!

This week in my bountiful basket, I received the following: navel oranges, blood oranges, apples, pears, meyer lemon, chard, red leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, tatsoi, kale, broccoli, beets, onion, carrots, celery, curly parsley, potatoes, beets and an avocado. Yum, right? As soon as I got home, I washed all the veggies and prepped them before putting them away. Yes, cleaning, washing, drying, and putting all the veggies away was tedious but definitely time well spent. Prepping everything takes up less valuable fridge space and having veggies prepped makes them easily accessible and at the ready for munching. :) Now when I want a salad, all I have to do is chop up a few lettuce leaves and throw in the extras to make a nice salad. Talk about EASY! And because the carrots and celery are washed, cut and saved in tupperware-type containers, we grab 'em and munch on 'em anytime we please. I'm telling you, prepping your veggies like this WILL make sure you eat them up. Also, something my Mom shared with me a while back is to wash the lettuce leaves, dry them, stack them on a paper towel (2 squares long) then roll them up and place in a ziploc bag. The paper towel keeps the lettuce fresh and will last up to 2 wks when saved like this.

I had beautiful organic carrots leftover from my first basket and more carrots from this week so I baked them. I knew we'd eat them up faster if they were sweetened and baked. Maybe this isn't a unique side dish but it was new for us. What's not to like about a little sugar and butter? These were delicious!

These are simple and VERY tasty!

Candied Carrots

Yield: 4-6 servings

Ingredients:
  • carrots (6-8 regular sized carrots)
  • 1 tbs butter
  • 1/2 tbs brown sugar
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Wash, peel and cut carrots into quarters/sticks.
  2. Place carrots in foil pouch on baking sheet.
  3. Add butter and sugar, close up pouch and bake for 20-30 mins.
  4. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails