Monday, March 29, 2010

Carnitas

I love Mexican food and I love carnitas. Several years ago, a friend mentioned how easy it is to make carnitas in the crock pot. When I asked her for the recipe, she looked at me with disbelief and said she didn't really have a recipe. She said to add pork, seasonings, diced green chilis and a little vinegar to a crock pot and let it cook for 6-8 hours. Yes, super simple indeed, however, I changed it up just a little bit after talking to another friend about tender, juicy carnitas. Now I have the perfect recipe! I love carnitas on its own, as a salad topper, in soup, tacos, burritos, quesadillas, nachos, etc.. Oh, the possibilities...yum yum!

Moist and delicious.

Carnitas

Yield: 8+ servings

Ingredients:
  • 1-2 lb pork tenderloin (I used pork sirloin tip roast from Costco and it was the juiciest carnitas EVER!)
  • 2 tsp oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tbs garlic, minced
  • handful of cilantro, washed and chopped
  • 10-16 oz salsa (I used smokey chipole salsa)
Directions:
  1. In med-large stock pot, heat 1 tsp oil over med-high heat. Saute onion for 3-4 mins. Then add garlic and saute for another 1-2 mins. Set aside.
  2. In same stock pot, heat remaining 1 tsp oil over med-high heat. Add pork and brown all sides.
  3. Top with chopped cilantro then pour salsa over top of pork.
  4. Turn down to low heat and simmer for 4 hours or more depending on size of pork.
  5. When done, shred pork using two forks. It should pull apart very easily.
Note: If you have leftovers, freeze small portions in ziploc bags. I always have a small baggie in my freezer so I can quickly and easily add a little protein to soup or add to breakfast burritos. YUM!

Source: Adapted from Lesley and Kat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails