Thursday, January 7, 2010

Enchiladas with Red Sauce

My lil' sis and her bf are visiting from CO. L's been here since Dec. 28th and E flew in on Jan. 4th. They were in the mood for Mexican food so I decided to make enchiladas. I strayed from my usual white sauce (uses heavy cream) in order to make healthier enchiladas for my health-conscious sis. Well, as healthy as enchiladas can be, I guess.

After perusing several foodgawker photos and recipes, I found this one that I kinda-sorta followed. My recipe using 5 tomatoes didn't make as much sauce as I would normally use (I LOVE sauces!) so I would double the recipe next time. Actually, since I'd already be making a mess in the kitchen, I'd make a HUGE pot of sauce and freeze some of it. Might as well make extra for future use...

This was my first time making red chile enchilada sauce.
I really liked this.

Red Chile Enchilada Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 5 beefsteak tomatoes, cored and seeded
  • garlic (I used 3/4 of a bulb), 3-4 cloves per tomato and the rest diced
  • 1 tbs chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tbs sugar
  • handful of cilantro, chopped
  • 1 c chicken broth
Directions:
  1. Remove tomato stems/core, put 3-4 garlic cloves in the center and bake for 30 minutes.
  2. Puree tomatoes (I'll remove seeds next time) and put in large sauce pan. 
  3. Add diced garlic, chili powder, cumin, pepper, salt and sugar and simmer till reduced to a paste. It took me 4+ hrs (really wanted the flavors to mingle) but the original recipe claims 10 mins.
  4. When pureed tomatoes are reduced to a paste, add chicken broth and pinch or two of cilantro.
  5. Simmer some more.
Red Chile Enchiladas


Ingredients:
  • 2-3 c red chile enchilada sauce
  • 1/2-1 lb beef, cooked and shredded
  • 7 oz can diced green chile (use fresh chile if possible but need to keep my dish mild for my kids)
  • 1-2 c sharp cheddar, shredded
  • 12 flour tortillas (use corn if you prefer)
Directions:
  1. Spread some sauce on bottom of 9x13" baking dish. 
  2. Add 1/4 c sauce to shredded beef to wet (more or less depending on how much beef you have). 
  3. Fill one end of tortilla with beef filling and roll. 
  4. Place seam side down in baking dish. Roll remaining tortillas. 
  5. Spread remainder of sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese.
  6. Bake for 20 mins at 350 degrees.
Yummmmm.........
Maybe a little too much cheese but definitely not enough red sauce.

Source: Adapted from Elly says Opa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails