Thursday, January 14, 2010

Honey Wheat Bread

I made bread in a bread maker once and it wasn't as good as this honey wheat bread. My boys didn't even like the bread maker bread. They said it tasted weird. I made one loaf with that gadget and now it just takes up space and collects dust. I'll craigslist it. :)

But this recipe...THIS recipe makes YUMMY bread! 

As the bread was baking, I decided to read a little more info on bread baking. It said to use the paddle attachment first to mix ingredients, then when dough formed, to use the dough hook to knead. I only used the dough hook and the bread turned out just fine. I will try the other method next time. Yes, there will be a next time because this was easy to make and tasted really good. Too good!

The dough has more than doubled in size!

My first 2 loaves.
 I made loaf shapes and put dough into pans. I didn't think to roll out the dough nicely before baking so I ended up with very lumpy bread.

I see Bart Simpson. What do you see?

I topped my toast with Kat's homemade persimmon preserves.
YUM!
The boys really LOVE this bread!
My 8 year old is bored of sandwiches yet he asks for them every day as long as I have honey wheat bread for him.  :)

Honey Wheat Bread


Yield: 2 loaves


Ingredients:

  • 2 c warm water
  • 1/2 c Honey Powder (agave nectar, honey or sugar is fine)
  • 1 1/2 tbs active dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 c light vegetable oil 
  • 4 c all purpose unbleached flour (I used whole wheat flour)
  • 2 c whole wheat bread flour
Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, dissolve the honey powder in warm water and then add yeast. Set aside for 10 mins until yeast resembles creamy foam.
  2. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Put mixture in stand mixer bowl. 
  3. Slowly work in 6 cups flour. Knead dough until smooth. Use a little more flour if needed. 
  4. Place in well oiled bowl, turn once to coat the entire surface of dough with oil. Cover with clean, damp cotton cloth. 
  5. Allow dough to rise about 1 hr or until doubled in size. Let rise in warm area free of drafts.
  6. Punch dough down. Knead for few minutes and divide in half. 
  7. Shape into *loaves and place into two well oiled 9x5 loaf pans, seam-side down. 
  8. Allow to rise for 30 minutes. 
  9. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes. When you thump top of bread, it should sound hollow.
  10. When done, immediately remove from bread pans and cool on wire rack. 
  11. Brush hot loaves with butter, optional.
*Note: If you want nice loaves of bread, you must make nice loaf shapes. "Shaping a Loaf" by KitchenAid's guide. "Divide dough in half. On lightly floured surface, roll each half into a rectangle, approx 9x13". Starting at short end, roll dough tightly. Pinch dough to seal seam. Pinch ends and turn under. Place seam-side down in loaf pan. 

Source: Kiss the Cook and KitchenAid's Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer guide.


Update: 1/24/10- I bought new large loaf pans and baked bread for the second time. I followed the directions from the *Note above and rolled out the dough and then rolled the dough tightly in hopes of having better shaped bread the second time around. 


This time I used 4 c unbleached flour instead of whole wheat flour.

Roul'Pat: I remembered to roll it out...

Rolled tightly, seam-side down and in the pans.
Smoother top...looks good so far.

One loaf is clearly bigger than the other.
 It may look a little funky but it sure tastes great!

Another Update: 2/1/10- This was my third time making this delicious bread. It truly is THE PERFECT sandwich bread. I tried a different rolling technique this time. I kneaded the dough for a couple mins after the 1 hr rise time. I shaped dough into a 9x13" rectangle with the long side facing me. I folded the short sides in to meet in the center. I pressed the seams and flattened the dough to get out any air bubbles. Then I took the side closest to me and rolled tightly. Keep seam side down and tuck ends under. I pinched all seams together before placing in oiled bread loaf pans. Once in pans, press dough down evenly, keeping top of loaf smooth. My bread finally looked like "regular" bread. :)

Sliced and ready for the ziploc bag.
My Dad, the bread snob, reluctantly tried a slice of this toasted bread.
He LOVED it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails