Thursday, January 21, 2010

Mashed "Potatoes"

When my chef friend, Kat, and I were training for the AVON Walk for Breast Cancer walk last year, she mentioned making mashed "potatoes" out of steamed cauliflower. Say what?! I LOVE mashed potatoes so I was excited to learn that pureed cauliflower could pass for mashed potatoes. She claimed that my family wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that and the real deal. She said it was that good. 

Well, I've put my family through the mashed "potatoes" test twice now. I made my first batch last month and thought it was pretty good. I got carried away and didn't measure the garlic powder which made it too spicy for the kids to eat. The second batch I made the other night was delish. I used real garlic cloves this time, minced them up and sauteed in butter before adding to the cauliflower. The second batch was super, duper yummy. BTW, my boys ate this up. They loved it! Don't let the cauliflower scare ya. This really IS good!

I think I prefer fake mashed "potatoes" over real mashed potatoes.
These mashies are very light and delicious.
I don't even like cauliflower but I can eat them when served up like mashed "potatoes."
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Try it!

Cauliflower Mashed "Potatoes"

Ingredients:
  • 1 cauliflower, medium size
  • 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tbs milk 
  • 3 tbs unsalted butter (add more if you like buttery mashies)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 c shredded mozzarella (or jack) cheese
  • chives, amount is up to you (mix in or reserve for garnish)
Directions:
  1. Boil a large pot of water over high heat or get steamer pot ready.
  2. Meanwhile, clean and cut cauliflower into small pieces. Boil for 6 minutes or until well done. I prefer to steam mine. Make sure they're cooked through so they're easier to puree. 
  3. Melt 1 tbs butter in small saucepan and saute garlic about 1 minute.
  4. Drain cauliflower well and pat it very dry. If steaming, cauliflower should be dry enough to put directly into food processor bowl. Do not let cool.
  5. In food processor, puree hot cauliflower with sauteed garlic, milk, 2 tbs butter (or more) and salt and pepper to taste. Process until smooth.  
  6. Put into serving bowl, carefully stir in shredded cheese and mix in chives or simply garnish with chives on top.
Notes: Breast Cancer information. I'm walking another 39.3 miles with AVON Walk for Breast Cancer this Sept. in Santa Barbara. I'm walking for all the women in my life. We all deserve a life without cancer! I hope for a CURE! If you'd like to make a small donation, it will help me get to my $1800 fundraising goal. Thank you very much in advance!


Source: Adapted from Kat, my chef friend. :)

1 comment:

  1. Great recipe! I am definitely going to try these. I recently made cauliflower for the first time and my husband actually ate it, so I'm sure these will be a hit :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails