Sunday, January 3, 2010

Chocoflan

My neighbor, Gracie, served Chocoflan at our annual neighborhood cookie exchange a couple years ago. I just HAD to have the recipe and share the flan goodness with others. It's THAT good! Thanks, Gracie, for sharing your recipe!

I have yet to attempt an egg-free version for my son. It calls for 7 eggs total and I feel that'd be too many eggs to substitute and I don't think the flan/cake separation would work out. Some day I'll have to give it a shot...

Right out of the oven. Oh, the delicious smell of chocolate and cinnamon......
I fried the motor to my blender/food processor when mixing pastry dough on New Year's Eve (now I have a valid excuse to get the KitchenAid stand mixer) so I used my hand mixer for the custard mixture. Some of the flan stayed "on top" and didn't fully settle to the bottom during baking.
Use your blender for the flan mixture!

Even with the broken blender, the Chocoflan was DELISH!

YUM YUM!

Chocoflan

Ingredients:

  • 1 box of chocolate cake AND its ingredients (eggs, oil, water)
Custard Ingredients:

  • 1 can condensed milk
  • 1 can evaporated milk
  • 4 eggs
  • 4 oz cream cheese
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
Toppings:

  • Walnuts (or pecans)
  • Caramel (I use caramel topping for ice cream.)
Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. Grease bundt pan with butter or Pam.
  3. Prepare cake as shown on box.
  4. Pour cake mixture into prepared pan.
  5. Prepare the custard mix in a blender (condensed milk, evaporated milk, eggs, cream cheese, vanilla and cinnamon). To get the right flan consistency, it MUST be prepared in the BLENDER.
  6. Add custard mixture over the prepared cake mixture. Place the bundt pan inside a bigger pan that's partially filled with hot water. The cake needs to be in a water bath to prevent from burning.  I use a 13" x 9" glass baking dish and fill till bundt pan is in about 1" of hot water.
  7. Bake 60-90 min.
  8. Do a toothpick check. If cake is done, remove from oven and let cool for 25 min.
  9. Invert the cake onto a nice platter. Add caramel and walnuts if desired.
  10. If baking the day before serving, invert cake on plate and leave bundt pan mold on cake in fridge till ready to serve. Must keep refrigerated. 
Notes:  Even though the flan was placed on top of the cake, it falls to the bottom of the pan when it bakes and the cake rises to the top.  Pretty cool!


Source: My neighbor, Gracie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails