Thursday, January 21, 2010

5-Grain Blueberry Muffins

I keep a container of fresh blueberries in my freezer so I can add a handful to pancake batter whenever I please. Since I haven't made pancakes in a really long time, it was time to use them up in muffins. I LOVE blueberry muffins and I honestly can't even remember the last time I ate one. Plus, I've never baked them from scratch so I was excited to try out a recipe I found on Wholesome Sweeteners' site.

During my last shopping trip to Costco, I picked up Organic Blue Agave syrup in lieu of honey. I read about this sweetener on a bread post and wanted to try it out. The tag on the product showed a link to their website for recipes so I checked it out. While perusing their site, I found the 5-Grain Blueberry Muffin recipe. I was missing an ingredient, so technically speaking, I baked "4-grain" muffins. Baking these treats warmed up my house on this cold, rainy morning and was a nice breakfast treat to go with my cup of coffee.

Don't let the bumpy texture scare you. These are so delicious.
I gave one to my son's teacher and she ate it up right there on the spot. She loved it!

My boys thought these were "totally wicked!"
Who would've thought vegan muffins could taste so good?!

5-Grain Blueberry Muffins

Yield: 19 muffins

Ingredients:
  • 2 c flour
  • ½ c rolled oats
  • ½ c cornmeal
  • 1/3 c millet (I didn't have any so I omitted)
  • 1/3 c flax seeds
  • 1½ tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½  tsp sea salt
  • 1 c orange juice
  • ½  c vegetable oil
  • ¾  c Wholesome Sweeteners' Organic Blue Agave syrup
  • 2 eggs, beaten (I used 1/4 c pureed tofu)
  • 1½  c blueberries (I used frozen fresh blueberries)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin pan or spray with oil to prevent sticking.
  2. In stand mixer bowl, mix together flour, oats, cornmeal, millet, flax seeds, baking soda, baking powder and salt. 
  3. In separate bowl, whisk orange juice, vegetable oil, agave syrup and eggs (or tofu mixture).
  4. Add liquid mixture slowly to flour mixture till thoroughly mixed in. 
  5. Gently fold in blueberries.
  6. Fill muffin liners 2/3 c full and bake 30 mins or until done. Transfer to cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails