During my last shopping trip to Costco, I picked up Organic Blue Agave syrup in lieu of honey. I read about this sweetener on a bread post and wanted to try it out. The tag on the product showed a link to their website for recipes so I checked it out. While perusing their site, I found the 5-Grain Blueberry Muffin recipe. I was missing an ingredient, so technically speaking, I baked "4-grain" muffins. Baking these treats warmed up my house on this cold, rainy morning and was a nice breakfast treat to go with my cup of coffee.
5-Grain Blueberry Muffins
Yield: 19 muffins
- 2 c flour
- ½ c rolled oats
- ½ c cornmeal
- 1/3 c millet (I didn't have any so I omitted)
- 1/3 c flax seeds
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 c orange juice
- ½ c vegetable oil
- ¾ c Wholesome Sweeteners' Organic Blue Agave syrup
- 2 eggs, beaten (I used 1/4 c pureed tofu)
- 1½ c blueberries (I used frozen fresh blueberries)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin pan or spray with oil to prevent sticking.
- In stand mixer bowl, mix together flour, oats, cornmeal, millet, flax seeds, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In separate bowl, whisk orange juice, vegetable oil, agave syrup and eggs (or tofu mixture).
- Add liquid mixture slowly to flour mixture till thoroughly mixed in.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Fill muffin liners 2/3 c full and bake 30 mins or until done. Transfer to cooling rack.