Thursday, January 28, 2010

Award + "Ice Cream" = SMILES!

Since the end of November, I've been spending a lot of time in the kitchen. I didn't know I liked cooking so much! It can be labor intensive depending on the meal, but definitely rewarding when the family raves on and on about how much they like my dishes. Luckily, my family eats everything so it makes cooking for them really easy.

My hubby is stoked when he comes home from work and I have a new dish prepared for dinner. He says I've been making "very gourmet meals." He's even been eating leftovers for lunch (gasp!) so I know he really likes what I'm cooking up. :) 

My 6 year old son eats everything I make. He always tells me I'm the "best cooker ever." So cute. I'm very lucky to have kids that eat everything I serve them. The only food he doesn't care for is eggplant. He's allergic to eggs, so in his mind, "egg"plant is an allergen. Even though he knows it's not egg, he has a hard time eating it. At least he'll still take a bite or two just to keep trying it. He's such a good boy.

My 8 year old son has been eating up all the goodies I've been making. He loves to eat and he eats everything. There isn't a thing he doesn't like. Well, ok, he's not a big raw carrot fan but he'll still eat them when given to him. While I was making dinner the other night, he graced me with my very first cooking award. How sweet, is he?! It's the "Best Cooking Mama Ever" badge. He taped a paperclip to the back and slid the badge right onto the collar of my shirt. My time in the kitchen cooking, baking and cleaning for my family is totally worth it. :)

My award. :)
Awwww....what a sweet son I have!

~~~~~~~~

Sooooo with all the lovely compliments I've been getting from the fam, I had to treat them to something special. Something healthy. Then I found this. The boys LOVED it, and hubby, though nervous at first, even ate it. Success!

Creamy and cold...just like real ice cream!

Smooth banana "ice cream" was a hit!
The boys added chocolate fudge for their topping. 
YUM YUM!


Banana "Ice Cream"

Ingredients:
  • 3 medium bananas
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • toppings (optional)

Directions:
  1. Peel bananas and cut into small pieces. 
  2. Lay flat in single layer and freeze several hours or overnight.
  3. Put frozen bananas in food processor and puree them up. It'll start to look crumbly and not at all like ice cream. Don't worry...keep pureeing.
  4. You will have to stop several times to scrape banana mixture down into food processor. 
  5. Continue pureeing till you get smooth, creamy "ice cream."

Source: Adapted from Our Best Bites

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails