Friday, January 29, 2010

Coconut Chicken

Last week, I saw a tasty post for Coconut-Crusted Chicken Tenders. I really like all the recipes Meghan posts so I knew I wanted to try these. I IMMEDIATELY put this on my "food to make" list. Yuhhh-ummmm...coconut! I've made coconut shrimp before, but my 6 yr old can't eat shellfish so I haven't made them since. Coconut chicken is THE perfect alternative for my fam. Plus, my heater's broken so I just HAD to make these. See what I do for a little warmth around here? :)

The house is finally warm and it smells good, too!

Crisp, coconut crust...mmmmm......
That little, burnt, crispy part is my fave. :)
I topped my sticky rice with sweet chili sauce. It was the perfect complement to the coconut chicken.

Coconut Chicken

Yield: 2-3 servings

Ingredients:
  • 1 package boneless, skinless chicken tenders (I used 2 breasts, cut into strips)
  • 1/2 tbs vegetable oil
  • 3/4 c panko bread crumbs
  • 3/4 c shredded, sweetened coconut
  • 1/3 can light coconut milk
  • 1/2 c flour
  • 1 tbs salt
  • 1 tsp ground pepper
  • dipping sauce: sweet chili sauce, sriracha or red chili paste (optional)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400F. 
  2. Heat oil in non-stick skillet. Add panko, stir often and cook until golden. Set aside in low bowl to cool.
  3. Using same skillet, add coconut and brown. Do not overcook or it will burn in the oven when chicken is baked. Add to the panko in the low bowl. Mix well.
  4. Line baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking oil.
  5. Wash chicken and dry with paper towels. Dredge in flour, dip in coconut milk, followed by coconut/panko mixture. Place on baking sheet.
  6. Bake 15-20 mins or until cooked through. Watch chicken closely towards end of bake time to avoid burning the coconut.
Notes:
I had exactly enough panko/coconut mixture for 2 chicken breasts. Next time, I'll make a little more as we like the crunchy crust. :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked the chicken! I like your idea of serving them with rice and sweet chili sauce!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails