I tried a recipe from Our Best Bites and they were beyond delicious! The tortillas were really easy to make thanks to my new stand mixer and my new Roul'Pat. Jeez, I LOVE my new kitchen goodies!
- 2 1/2 c flour
- 1 c very hot water
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 c shortening
- In stand mixer bowl, mix flour and salt.
- Add shortening and mix well (will look like coarse bread crumbs).
- Add hot water (45 seconds in microwave was perfect for me) - should be hot enough to melt shortening but not so hot that it melts the dough.
- Mix until dough forms.
- Pinch off small amount of dough and form golfball-sized dough ball. Make 'em bigger if you want bigger tortillas. Ball up remaining dough.
- Make round tortilla shapes: take dough ball in palm of hand and flatten, maintaining round shape. Place on lightly floured Roul'Pat and roll out to round, tortilla shape. Roll to desired thickness (I prefer thin as they seem less doughy and more tortilla-ey).
- Preheat non-stick/cast-iron skillet (I used my pancake griddle) to med-low heat. Spray with cooking oil if needed (I didn't use any).
- Place raw tortilla on preheated skillet and cook until you see large bubbles puff up (if you see small bubbles, your skillet is too hot). When you see large bubbles, flip tortilla and cook another 30-45 seconds. I like to see a little bit of browning on my tortillas but don't over-do it as you can over-cook the tortillas.
- If eating immediately, stack cooked tortillas on a plate. Otherwise, place in tortilla warmer. If you don't have one, wrap tortillas in damp paper towels, then wrap in foil and keep in warm oven (170F) until ready to eat them. ENJOY!