Friday, January 22, 2010

Flour Tortillas

Mexican restaurants that serve fresh tortillas are the BEST! Seriously. There's something about fresh tortillas that are just so yummy. If you've had 'em, you know what I'm talking about. A couple weekends ago, I took my sis and her boyfriend to Old Town San Diego. When we were walking around, we saw a couple restaurants with gals behind the big window rolling out homemade tortillas and cooking them on a big griddle. They made it look so easy and the tortillas looked so fresh and delicious. I wanted one. I wanted one really bad but we had just eaten lunch so I was full. I made a mental note to make homemade tortillas at some point. 

I tried a recipe from Our Best Bites and they were beyond delicious! The tortillas were really easy to make thanks to my new stand mixer and my new Roul'Pat. Jeez, I LOVE my new kitchen goodies!

No, they weren't all perfectly circular but they were close enough.
I spread one with a little butter, rolled it up and gave it to my boys.
They raved on and on about how tasty they were. 
YUM!
Flour Tortillas

Yield: 10-12 fajita-sized tortillas, 7-8 burrito-sized tortillas or 5-6 large tortillas

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 c flour
  • 1 c very hot water
  • 1 tsp Kosher salt
  • 1/4 c shortening
Directions:
  1. In stand mixer bowl, mix flour and salt.
  2. Add shortening and mix well (will look like coarse bread crumbs).
  3. Add hot water (45 seconds in microwave was perfect for me) - should be hot enough to melt shortening but not so hot that it melts the dough.
  4. Mix until dough forms.
  5. Pinch off small amount of dough and form golfball-sized dough ball. Make 'em bigger if you want bigger tortillas. Ball up remaining dough.
  6. Make round tortilla shapes: take dough ball in palm of hand and flatten, maintaining round shape. Place on lightly floured Roul'Pat and roll out to round, tortilla shape. Roll to desired thickness (I prefer thin as they seem less doughy and more tortilla-ey).
  7. Preheat non-stick/cast-iron skillet (I used my pancake griddle) to med-low heat. Spray with cooking oil if needed (I didn't use any).
  8. Place raw tortilla on preheated skillet and cook until you see large bubbles puff up (if you see small bubbles, your skillet is too hot). When you see large bubbles, flip tortilla and cook another 30-45 seconds. I like to see a little bit of browning on my tortillas but don't over-do it as you can over-cook the tortillas.
  9. If eating immediately, stack cooked tortillas on a plate. Otherwise, place in tortilla warmer. If you don't have one, wrap tortillas in damp paper towels, then wrap in foil and keep in warm oven (170F) until ready to eat them. ENJOY!
Source: Our Best Bites

3 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to make flour tortillas! I thought it was more complicated I guess. I really don't like the ones at the store.

    This is a similar method to the flatbread/pita I'm posting next week (but without the step of waiting for the yeast to rise). Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such an easy recipe! :) I've made these twice now. They taste super yummy! I'm still working on the texture. I don't have a mixer, so I'm wondering if that is leading to my texture issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meghan- Thanks! Hope you've had a chance to make these. They're so good!

    Kelly- Glad you like these! Regarding the texture issues...are you using a hand-held electric mixer or mixing by hand?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails