Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Blackberry Tart

I am so close to conquering this crust. Ohhhh, soooooo close, I tell you. I took lululu's advice from her comment on my chicken pot pie post and used the food processor. I was nervous because I fried the motor to my other food processor/blender making this very same crust but I did it. I'm glad because it was delicious and it turned out the way it was supposed to. Well, an improvement over the last crust I made so let's leave it at that. :)
mmmm.......

blackberries!

I topped it off with toasted, sweetened coconut.
This was such a tasty treat!

Blackberry Tart

Yield: 2 tarts (definitely big enough to share between 4 people)

Ingredients:

short crust pastry:
  • 1 1/4 c flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tbs sugar
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into little cubes (must be very cold)
  • 1/4 c water (use ice water and remove ice cubes before adding to flour mixture)
Filling:
  • 2 c berries (fresh or frozen mix of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries)
  • 1-2 tbs sugar (1/4 c sugar if using frozen berries)
  • lemon zest (I used half a lemon)
  • 1 1/2 tbs flour
  • 1/4 c sweetened coconut, toasted (reserve for topping after the tarts have been baked)
Directions:
  1. Place flour, salt and sugar in a food processor and give a quick mix. 
  2. Add butter and process until mixture resembles a sandy mixture. While the machine is running, pour in cold water slowly. The dough should hold together when pinched. Add a little more water if necessary.
  3. Gather dough into 2 balls. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 mins to chill.
  4. Preheat oven to 400F. 
  5. Combine berries, sugar, lemon zest and flour in large bowl and set aside. 
  6. Remove the doughs from the fridge. Roll each dough on a floured surface into a 7" circle. Place the pastries onto the baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
  7. Divide filling between the two pastries, leaving about 1" border around the edges. Fold up and seal the pastry edges, leaving the center open.
  8. Place baking sheet on center rack. Bake for 30 mins or until crust is golden brown and juice is bubbling. 
  9. Remove from oven and serve immediately with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
NOTE: This made 2 good-sized tarts. Next time, I'll use my 8" tart pan. I can't believe I didn't even think of using my new cute, little, 8" tart pan. 

Source: slightly adapted from lululuathome

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails