Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Lemon Chicken

I must admit I was pretty impressed with General Tso's Chicken I made the other night and wanted to try another Chinese dish. I also wanted to use up the remainder of the Meyer lemon juice I had leftover from my lemon cupcakes. Lemon chicken is typically fried but I wanted a lighter, healthier version so I basically just cooked it in the marinade in a deep saute pan and then added the sauce at the end. I would have grilled the chicken, but since there was a tornado warning and it was raining heavily today, I wasn't able to use the grill.

My boys really liked this dish...YAY!

My dinner is spiced up with crushed red peppers and a drizzle of hot chili oil.
The four of us gave this a thumbs up!

Lemon Chicken

Yield: 6-8 servings

Ingredients:
  • 6 chicken breasts
  • 2 tbs rice wine vinegar
  • 2 tbs honey
  • 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated (can use ground ginger)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
  • slices of lemon for garnish
  • 2 green onions, sliced
  • crushed red pepper
  • hot chili oil
Sauce: mix all ingredients in a med-large bowl.
  • 1 c chicken stock
  • 2/3 c lemon juice (original recipe stated 2 tbs lemon juice but this is "lemon" chicken, right?)
  • 4 tbs sugar
  • 2 tbs soy sauce
  • 2 tbs cornstarch
  • 1 tsp grated lemon peel
  • 2-3 drops yellow food coloring, optional (I didn't add this)
  1. Wash and dry chicken breasts and cut into bite-size pieces. 
  2. Place chicken in shallow dish (or ziploc bag) and add rice wine vinegar, honey and ginger. Marinate for 30 minutes.
  3. Heat oil in deep saute pan and add chicken pieces. Stir chicken often as they tend to stick together. Cook over medium heat.
  4. Add sauce to chicken. Bring to boil and stir often. Add yellow food coloring if desired. Cook until sauce has thickened.
  5. Serve with rice and garnish with sliced green onions. Add crushed red pepper and hot chili oil to taste.
NOTE: I set aside an orange bell pepper and an onion and forgot to add them. Saute veggies first then add to cooked chicken.

Source: Cook Asian Food

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails