Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Short Crust Pastry

I used lululu's short crust pastry recipe for my chicken pot pie crust. My end product looked nothing like hers but at least it still tasted great. I'm hoping with time and practice, I will eventually nail the perfectly browned, flaky, light crust that she has mastered.

To date, I've had 3 failed attempts at this crust. Boo! She uses a food processor but wouldn't the stand mixer work just as well? BTW, I used my food processor for my first 2 attempts then fried the motor during my second attempt. THAT is why I tried my stand mixer this third time around. I invested in a better food processor and the crust turned out better this time around. The less you handle it the better to ensure a flaky crust.

My paddle accessory hard at work.

The dough is coming together quite nicely.
And look, Mom, no hands! :)
I love how it does its thing and I have free hands to do other things.
Thanks again, Mom, for my Christmas present!

Rolled out then cut out. Looks perfect.
Unfortunately, I have yet to bake a perfect crust.
Soon, I tell you, SOON!

Below is the recipe for the Berry Tart from lululu. It's really delish!

Short Crust Pastry:

Yield: 2 tarts

Ingredients: 
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp white sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into little cubes, chilled
1/4 cup ice water (ICE water)

Filling:
2 cups berries (fresh or frozen mix of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 lemon zest
1 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour

Directions:
Place flour, salt and sugar in stand mixer bowl. Mix with paddle attachment. Add butter and continue mixing until it resembles coarse meal. While it's mixing, pour in ice water slowly. The dough should hold together when pinched. Add a little more water if necessary.

Gather dough into 2 balls. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 mins to chill.

Remove the doughs from fridge. Roll each dough on floured surface into a 7" circle. Place the pastries onto the baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Combine berries, lemon zest, sugar and flour in a large bowl. Remove the pastry from the refrigerator and divide the filling between the two pastries, leaving about 1" border around the edges. Fold up and seal the pastry edges, leaving the center open.

Preheat oven to 400F. Place baking sheet on the center rack. Bake for 30 mins or until crust is golden brown and juice is bubbling. Remove from oven and serve immediately with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. 

Source: lululu

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails