Monday, January 25, 2010

Vanilla Cupcakes/Cake

Last week, I got an email from my first grader's Room Mom about an ice cream sundae party in celebration of their wonderful Teacher's birthday. With the rain, wind and tornado warnings we had, I couldn't even think about ice cream. Brrrr! She was open to other suggestions so I offered to bake cupcakes for the class. Plus, if I bake the cupcakes, my son can enjoy them with his classmates since he can't eat store-bought cupcakes or "regular" homemade ones due to his egg allergy. The Room Mom is so thoughtful, always making sure that my son is included, so I wanted to make a cupcake that she could eat, too. I bought soy milk and Nucoa and baked vegan cupcakes...these cupcakes were a HIT! The kids AND adults enjoyed them! Success!!!

Cupcakes are cooling...waiting to get frosted...

Cute cupcakes ready for transport. :)

I saved four for the fam...the boys will be SO happy!

Mmmmm....I can hardly wait to sink my teeth into one!

This is the BEST frosting EVER!
Dangerously delicious!!!

Vanilla Cupcakes


Yield: 12 cupcakes (double ingredients for 9x13" cake)

Ingredients:
  • 1 c soy milk (or milk)
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/4 c all purpose flour
  • 2 tbs cornstarch
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 c sugar (I used organic cane sugar)
  • 1/3 c canola oil
  • (1/4 c pureed tofu if making cake)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
  2. Whisk soy milk and apple cider vinegar in measuring cup and set aside a few minutes to curdle. If you prefer eggs, skip the milk/vinegar mixture and use 2 eggs.
  3. In stand mixer bowl, mix flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
  4. Slowly mix in sugar, oil and vanilla about 2 minutes. Add milk/cider mixture. If baking cake, add the tofu. Mix well.
  5. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. If baking cake, grease 9x13" pan and fill with cake mixture. Bake for 34-38 minutes and check with toothpick for doneness. 
  6. Transfer to cooling rack and cool completely before frosting.
Source: Adapted from No Whey! Vegan Treats Galore


Vanilla Buttercream Frosting


Yield: ~36 cupcakes


Ingredients:
  • 1.5 sticks Nucoa (or use Earth Balance, margarine or butter)
  • (1/4 c shortening - add if using butter...it stiffens the frosting)
  • 3 c powdered sugar (1 box)
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 c vanilla soy milk (or milk)
Directions:
  1. Mix Nucoa (or butter with shortening) together.
  2. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and soy milk until combined.
  3. Pipe or spread onto cupcakes.
Source: Adapted from Endless Simmer

UPDATE: 2/4/10

My friend asked me for an egg-free cake recipe so she can have a bakery bake her son's birthday cake. Really? The bakery can't do a little research and make their own egg-free cake? Well, then...hmph! Forget them! I offered to bake Seanie's egg-free birthday cake and cupcakes and my friend happily accepted my offer. :)

I tried a new recipe and ended up with a HUGE mess-up! Everything turned out lumpy bumpy, the texture was more like a biscuit and the taste was just ok. Just "OK" is not ok for a 6 yr old's birthday party so I came back to this tried and true vanilla cupcake recipe.

Though I could've flipped this cake and frosted the smooth side, 
the flavor and texture just didn't do it for me.

 Lumpity-bumpity...
My boys ate these with some leftover raspberry buttercream frosting. They said they were good. HA! I think they're deprived of sweets and will eat anything. :)
-----------------
Soooo....I turned to this vanilla cupcake recipe because I've taste them before and KNOW they're yummy. I doubled the ingredients and quadruple-crossed my fingers and toes that the cake would look like cake when it was done baking. Everything turned out beautifully! WOOHOOOO!!!

GOLDEN!
Now THIS is what a cake is supposed to look like...

YAY for smooth tops!

Vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream frosting and an edible image placed on top.

Crazy for Cupakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails