Yield: 12 cupcakes (double ingredients for 9x13" cake)
- 1 c soy milk (or milk)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 2 tbs cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 c sugar (I used organic cane sugar)
- 1/3 c canola oil
- (1/4 c pureed tofu if making cake)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk soy milk and apple cider vinegar in measuring cup and set aside a few minutes to curdle. If you prefer eggs, skip the milk/vinegar mixture and use 2 eggs.
- In stand mixer bowl, mix flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Slowly mix in sugar, oil and vanilla about 2 minutes. Add milk/cider mixture. If baking cake, add the tofu. Mix well.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. If baking cake, grease 9x13" pan and fill with cake mixture. Bake for 34-38 minutes and check with toothpick for doneness.
- Transfer to cooling rack and cool completely before frosting.
Yield: ~36 cupcakes
- 1.5 sticks Nucoa (or use Earth Balance, margarine or butter)
- (1/4 c shortening - add if using butter...it stiffens the frosting)
- 3 c powdered sugar (1 box)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 c vanilla soy milk (or milk)
- Mix Nucoa (or butter with shortening) together.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla and soy milk until combined.
- Pipe or spread onto cupcakes.
My friend asked me for an egg-free cake recipe so she can have a bakery bake her son's birthday cake. Really? The bakery can't do a little research and make their own egg-free cake? Well, then...hmph! Forget them! I offered to bake Seanie's egg-free birthday cake and cupcakes and my friend happily accepted my offer. :)
I tried a new recipe and ended up with a HUGE mess-up! Everything turned out lumpy bumpy, the texture was more like a biscuit and the taste was just ok. Just "OK" is not ok for a 6 yr old's birthday party so I came back to this tried and true vanilla cupcake recipe.