I've never baked a pie before so I thought I'd give it a try. I came across this recipe on recipezaar. It seemed easy enough but I modified it just a bit as I do with most of my recipes. We shared the pie with my in-laws and parents. They LOVED it!
crust (homemade or store bought)...I made a "no roll crust".... recipe towards bottom of post.
- 1/2 c sugar
- 3 tbs flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 c apples, peeled and sliced thin
- 3/4 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c flour
- 1/2 c quick cook oats
- 1/2 c butter
- 1/4 c caramel topping
- 1/2 c pecans, chopped
- In large bowl, mix sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt.
- Add apple slices and toss till coated well.
- Transfer apple mixture to pie.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender until topping resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle over apple pie.
- Bake at 375 F for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil from pie and bake another 30 minutes or until top is golden.
- Remove from oven.
- Drizzle with caramel topping and sprinkle with pecans.
- Cool on wire rack for 20+ minutes before serving. Enjoy with vanilla bean ice cream and a dollop of whipped cream. Ohhhh yummmmm!!!
Easy Peasy No Roll Pie Crust
- 1 1/2 c flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 c vegetable oil (use a FRESH, good quality oil)
- 2 tbs milk
- Mix dry ingredients together with fork in pie pan.
- Make a well in center and add oil and milk.
- Mix with fork until it makes a ball.
- Flatten and press into pan and flute the edge if you have enough crust to do so.
- Bake at 374 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until golden.