Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

This was my third attempt at chicken pot pie. I made a big pot of chicken vegetable soup using my homemade chicken stock the night before and had enough leftovers to whip together chicken pot pie for tonight's dinner. All I had to do was add a few extra ingredients, make the crust, and voila, dinner was on the table. So incredibly easy. Really.

The boys (ages 8 and 6) named the paddle accessory "Peace Out" because it looks similar to the peace symbol.

I fried the motor of my blender/food processor the last time I made this short crust pastry so I had to use the stand mixer.

My awesome new stand mixer got the job done. I love how mixing is hands-free, giving me time to put other items together while the dough mixes.

I've since made the short crust pastry again after I invested in a better food processor and it came out beautifully. I'll continue to use the food processor from now on.

Roll out the dough and cut circles 1/2" bigger than the ramekins you're using.
I used my son's cereal bowl to cut out perfect circles.

Mmmm...the filling...
Don't skip the cream and wine as it really enhances the flavors of the filling.

I have yet to get a flaky crust like lululu's but I think I figured it out when I was telling Hubby about my problem and disappointment with another failed attempt at the flaky crust.
I want to conquer the crust!
And I will.
Next time.

My suggestions...
Do not overfill the ramekins or you'll end up with a mess (see pic above).
Try again with food processor or stick with stand mixer...unsure at this point.
Roll out a thinner crust.
Cut vents in dough before pressing into ramekins.
Put a small section of dough into the ramekin and press small sections of dough against the edge with a fork. Then, work your way around, keeping the filling in the ramekin and not allowing it to settle on top of the crust.
I hope to get a flaky crust next time. That's what makes the pot pie. It's all about the perfect crust.

For this batch, I used whole wheat flour because that's what I had. It was still tasty.

There was enough filling and dough for a 9" pie dish, too!

Chicken Pot Pie

Yield: 4-6 servings

Ingredients:

  • 6 tbs unsalted butter (more or less to taste)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3 carrots, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 c flour
  • 2 1/2 c low-sodium chicken stock
  • 1 1/2 c milk
  • 1/2 c cream
  • 1/4 c white wine (optional)
  • 6 c chicken, shredded
  • 3/4 c green peas, frozen or fresh
  • 3/4 c corn kernels, frozen or fresh
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten (I omit due to son's egg allergy)
  • short crust pastry (double portion)

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  2. In large skillet, melt butter on medium heat. Add onions and carrots and cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 mins.
  3. Add flour and continue stirring for another minute. 
  4. Slowly whisk in chicken stock to blend completely with the flour/veggie mixture. 
  5. Add milk and cream. Decrease heat to low and simmer for 10 mins, stirring often. 
  6. Add chicken, wine, peas, corn, salt and pepper. Stir well. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. 
  7. Divide filling among  4-6 ramekins.
  8. Roll out crust dough on lightly floured surface to 1/4" thick. Cut into rounds 1/2" larger than circumference of ramekins and cut 1" vent. 
  9. Lay section of dough on pot pie ramekin. Fold excess dough over edge and press onto ramekin. Try not to get filling on top of dough.  
  10. If using egg, lightly brush beaten egg on each pie. Line baking sheet with foil and place pies on baking sheet. 
  11. Bake for 25 mins, until pastry is golden and filling is bubbling. Let cool for 5 mins then serve.
Source: lululu

1 comment:

  1. your pie in fact looks delicious!
    as far as the crust goes, make sure the butter and water are icy cold. i recommend to use food processor (with a blade) as it helps to blend everything fairly quickly. and i never work on the dough too much and i never knead it (that's the key of making flaky crust or cookies). after blending, you should have a very sandy mixture which would come together when being pinched by hands. if the mixture doesnt come together very well, add a little more water.
    hope it helps, and thanks for dropping by my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails