It was chilly this morning so I wanted to warm up the house by baking something. This was the perfect opportunity to try The Food Allergy Mama's Bakery-Style Bagels. If it continues to stay cold, I'm sure to do more baking this weekend. The warmth from the oven and the wonderful aroma of homemade bagels baking was very comforting. These were easy to make and definitely the best I've ever tasted. Seriously.
- 4 1/2 c flour
- 2 packages active dry yeast (I used 1 1/2 tbs Red Star Active Dry Yeast from the jar)
- 1 1/2 c warm water (110F)
- 3 1/2 tbs sugar
- 1 tbs salt
- 1 tbs sugar
- In stand mixer bowl, use paddle attachment and mix 1 1/2 c flour and yeast.
- In separate bowl, mix water, sugar and salt.
- Add water mixture to flour mixture and mix on low for about 1 min. using dough hook. Turn up speed and knead/mix for another 3-4 mins.
- Stir in remaining flour until dough comes together.
- Knead dough until smooth and elastic about 3-5 mins. Cover with kitchen towel and let rise 10-15 mins.
- Separate dough into 12 portions and shape into balls. Make hole in center and form bagel shapes. Cover and let rise another 10-15 mins.
- Fill large pot with water and 1 tbs sugar. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 4 bagels at a time for 5-7 mins, turning once. Don't overcrowd the pot.
- Use metal tongs to remove bagels from pot and drain on paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 375F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Place drained bagels on baking sheets.
- Bake 30 mins or until golden brown.
Source: The Food Allergy Mama