Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Hiyashi Chuka: Chilled Chinese Noodles

I've been following several foodie blogs since the beginning of the year and one that I enjoy a lot is La Fuji Mama because she prepares so many Japanese dishes. My boys would be so happy if I'd make more Japanese dishes so I joined Rachael's group, Washoku Warriors. She posts a challenge every month and members have all month to try the challenge. Unfortunately, I missed the last two challenges because I haven't been checking my google mail account. Now that that account is linked to my iPhone, I won't miss any more challenges. :)

I went ahead and tried the last challenge anyways, Challenge #11: Chilled Noodles, so I could finally try a recipe out of my new cookbook, Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen by Elizabeth Andoh. I made a chilled Chinese noodle salad called Hiyashi Chuka. My Obaa-Chan (Grandma) made it on hot, humid days when I used to visit Japan and my Mom also made this on hot summer days as it's a refreshing, cold noodle dish. Good stuff!

This was the first time I made this dish for my fam and they LOVED it! As I took each bite, my fun-filled memories of summer vacations in Japan came flooding back. I enjoyed my lunch as I reminisced about Japan and will definitely make this again. I hope to make it on a super scorcher of a day as it seems to taste better when enjoyed on a hot day. :) It's been extremely overcast and cold here in San Clemente, so when the sun decides to pop out and starts to feel like summer, I'll surely make this again.

Delish!

Hiyashi Chuka: Chilled Chinese Noodles

For the recipe, check out page 178 in the cookbook, Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen by Elizabeth Andoh.

This is super easy and fast to put together. Make the dressing a day in advance as it will taste better, boil noodles, add dressing over the noodles, prep toppings and place over the noodles. Easy! I marinated the cucumbers in a little dressing hoping Son #2 and Hubby would eat the cucumber. It worked!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails