Friday, June 25, 2010

Crockpot Shredded Beef

The crockpot is my friend and she's always there for me in a pinch. She pulled through for me again the other day. I don't use my crockpot often but I really should. If used properly, meats will turn out moist and juicy. Dinners are easy when I use it and I'm all about easy with my busy schedule.

I had a beef roast in the fridge that I picked up in the "Manager's Special" section of Ralph's. I find great deals in that little section and haven't been disappointed yet. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the roast but knew I'd figure it out by the end of the day. I like a pulled pork sandwich so I figured a pulled beef sandwich would be delicious. Glad I tried it because it was tender and fabulously flavorful. 

I added a layer of baby carrots and onions on the bottom of the crockpot before adding the beef. The onions were great on the sandwich and the carrots were perfect to serve as a side. The fam loved this dish, and when I serve it again, I'll use regular buns. I wanted to cut some carbs so I used thin sandwich buns but there are little holes all over the top and bottom bun which made for a very messy sandwich. The sauce oozed out with every bite but the boys didn't mind one bit. 

This recipe makes a lot of shredded beef and is an easy, stress-free way to serve a big crowd. Since I was only making this for my fam of four, I froze the leftovers and will eventually use it for beef enchiladas. Easy peasy weeknight dinner down the road...

Juicy!

Add Dijon mustard and extra onions. Good stuff!

Crockpot Shredded Beef

Yield: 6-8 servings

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/4 lb boneless beef roast
  • 1-2 c baby carrots
  • 1 large onion, quartered
sauce:
  • 2 tbs Dijon mustard
  • 1 c barbecue sauce
  • 2 tbs red wine vinegar
  • 12 oz beer
Directions:
  1. Mix sauce ingredients in med large bowl. Set aside.
  2. Place carrots and onion in bottom of crockpot.
  3. Cut beef roast in half so it covers bottom of crockpot dish.
  4. Place roast on top of carrot/onion mixture.
  5. Pour sauce over beef and coat top and bottom of roast.
  6. Cook on low for 6-8 hrs or until beef pulls apart easily with a fork.
  7. When done, remove beef from crock pot and shred.
  8. Strain off fat and mix sauce into pulled beef portion.
Source: Adapted from A Good Appetite

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails