Monday, June 7, 2010

Sweet n Spicy Wings

A couple weeks ago, my parents did a patio remodel and it turned out great. Their old grill was damaged and removed years ago so it's been a really long time since they enjoyed a BBQ at home. My Mom was looking forward to breaking in the new grill and that she did indeed. She grilled up a storm!

One of the things she grilled was salt and peppered chicken wings. Simple yet delicious. I'm not a fan of chicken skin but I can eat it if it's chicken wings. Weird, I know. As long as it's thin skin, I can handle it. I'm glad I don't have a total aversion to it because the crisp, barbecued wings were delish!

I wanted more wings. I wanted something spicy. I wanted something garlicky. I knew Joanne's Sweet, Spicy, Sour Chicken Wings would hit the spot. Everything I've tried from her blog has been a hit with my fam. Good stuff, for sure!

I bought whole wings because it's much cheaper than buying a package of drummettes and wings that have already been separated for you. I used my kitchen shears to cut them apart and then I cut the wing tips and set them aside so I could make chicken stock. The extra step is easy and worth the savings.

When we eat at our fave Chinese and Thai restaurants, the waiters always bring Sambal Oelek chili paste as soon as we're seated. That chili paste is great on just about everything when you need a little heat. I added a very small amount to the marinade because this was a shared dish with the kids. Next time, oh yes, there will most definitely be a next time, I'm making my own batch that's extra spicy. I LOVE SPICY!!! 

Marinate overnight for best flavor.

GARLIC!

Turn the chicken and broil them for crispy, browned wings.

These were so good Hubby thought my Mom made them. :)

These are not goldfish. They're wing tips. :)
In stock pot, add wing tips, onion (cut into quarters), garlic (2 tbs minced), carrots, celery, parsley (I used cilantro), oregano, bay leaf, salt and pepper and fill pot half full with water. Bring to boil, then turn down heat and simmer for 4+ hrs. Adjust seasonings as needed.

Sweet n Spicy Wings

Yield: 24 wings, 4 servings?

Ingredients:
  • 3 lbs chicken wings (wings and drummettes)
marinade:
  • 1/4 c soy sauce
  • 1/4 c water
  • 1/4 c rice vinegar
  • 1/4 c sake
  • 2 tbs sugar
  • 1 tbs sesame oil
  • 1 tsp Sambal Oelek (chili pepper paste)- use more if you like heat.
  • 2 tbs garlic, minced
Directions:
  1. Mix marinade ingredients in large ziploc or large container for marinating chicken.
  2. Add chicken wings and marinate overnight for best flavor.
  3. Preheat oven to 375F. Line roasting pan with foil for easy clean-up and use spray oil to prevent chicken from sticking.
  4. Put chicken in roasting pan in single layer, not touching. Discard marinade.
  5. Cook 45 mins - 1 hr. Because my chicken were a little crammed, I turned them after 1 hr, placed them on middle rack and broiled them for 3-5 mins till skin was crispy and browned on backside, too. ENJOY!!!
Source: Adapted from Week of Menus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails