Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Blue Cheese Crab Cakes

I made crab cakes for the first time in December. They were delicious. Hubby and Son #1 REALLY enjoyed them! Son #2 has shellfish allergies so he ate chicken tenders instead. I always make food that we can all enjoy as a fam as I don't like to exclude my son, however, that night in Dec. I had an unusually strong craving for crab cakes. I went ahead and made them knowing Son would be perfectly happy with his serving of chicken. 

I needed a quick dinner I could whip together after the boys' Taekwondo class. I found a recipe for Blue Cheese Crab Cakes that sounded interesting and they turned out great. Hubby really likes blue cheese so I knew the recipe would go over well with him. Son #1 even ate 'em up. Like me, he's a foodie, too. ;) If you're not sure if you like blue cheese, make the crab cakes without the cheese. Blue cheese has a pungent smell and a sharp taste that takes getting used to so omit unless you know for sure that you and the blue cheese are friends. :)

DEEEEE-lish! 

Want a bite?

Blue Cheese Crab Cakes

Yield: 12- 3" crab cakes

Ingredients:
  • 16 oz lump crab meat
  • 4 oz crumbled blue cheese
  • 1/2 lemon, juice
  • 1 tsp Grey Poupon mustard
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c panko bread crumbs
veggie mix-in:
  • 1/4 c red onions, chopped
  • 1/4 c carrots, julienned
  • 1 tbs garlic, minced
  • Emeril's Essence (or garlic salt and pepper or seasonings of choice)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375F.
  2. In saute pan, spray with oil and heat over med-high heat. Saute veggie mix-ins for 4-5 mins. Set aside when done.
  3. In large mixing bowl, combine crab cakes ingredients and mix well. 
  4. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Shape crab mixture into patties, 3" in diameter and 1" thick.
  5. Place crab cakes onto baking sheet about 1" apart.
  6. Bake 20-25 mins. Let sit 2-3 mins before serving.
Source: Adapted from Nooschi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I still had organic avocados so I made an avocado dipping sauce. The sauce was similar to guacamole but a lighter version of it. I would've preferred a serrano chili in there to spice it up but I left it mild so Son #1 could eat it. I love all foods spicy so I just had to make a spicy sauce for myself. Glad I did because both sauces on the crab cakes made for a very nice flavor combination. YUMMMMM!

Yums.

Avocado Dipping Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 2-3 small avocados, pitted and peeled
  • 1-2 tbs mayonnaise
  • 1 lemon, juice
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Directions:
  1. Place avocados in food processor. Pulse till smooth.
  2. Add remaining ingredients and pulse some more. Sauce should be smooth. If it's too thick, add a little milk.
Spicy Chili Dipping Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 2 tbs sour cream
  • 2 tbs chili paste, Sambal Oelek (use less if you don't like it too spicy)
Directions:
  1. Mix sour cream and chili paste till thoroughly combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails