Friday, May 28, 2010

Banana Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting

Son #2 really loves bananas. He could easily eat two or three in a sitting but that seems a bit excessive so I get him to pick another fruit or veggie to eat instead. Since we picked up organic apricots, strawberries and oranges in our CSA basket this week, we didn't go through our bananas fast enough. No problem because I could always make banana bread with overly ripened bananas. I set out all the ingredients yesterday but I wasn't in the mood for banana bread so I put that baking project on hold. 

I wanted something sweeter than banana bread. I was really craving a cupcake. I'm sure this craving was because my sister just baked carrot cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. Thanks a lot, E! I guess I shouldn't be mad because my cupcakes turned out really tasty. I combined my banana bread recipe and my vanilla cupcake recipe and came up with this sweet banana cupcake. The strawberry buttercream frosting was the perfect complement to this delicious cupcake. It's a good thing my parents are coming home from Paris today because I need to get these cupcakes out of my house. I'll drop off a couple with my in-laws, too. I need to share these before I lose control and eat them all!

Got a nice rise even without eggs. :)

I wanna eat 'em all. I really do!

Yes, the perfect combo indeed.

Have you had your fruit today? ;)

Mmmm....bananalicious!

Banana Cupcakes

Yield: 18 cupcakes (24 if you make them a little smaller)

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 c milk
  • 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 4 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 3/4 c sugar (use 1/2 c if frosting the cupcakes)
  • 1/3 c butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 c Canola oil
dry:
  • 2 c flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tbs corn starch
Directions:
  1. Measure out milk, add vinegar and set aside to let "curdle." If you prefer eggs, skip the milk/vinegar mixture and use 2 eggs.
  2. Preheat oven to 325F. Line cupcake pans with liners.
  3. Peel bananas and add to stand mixer bowl. Using paddle attachment, mix until mashed well.
  4. Add sugar, butter, vanilla and oil. Mix well.
  5. Measure out dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add to banana mixture.
  6. Once cupcake mixture is combined well, slowly pour in milk mixture and continue mixing. Do not over-mix.
  7. Fill liners 2/3 full for 18 cupcakes or 1/2 full for 24. I used my Pampered Chef medium scoop and dropped 2 scoops into each cupcake liner. Gotta make 'em all the same size or it becomes a problem with my two boys. :)
  8. Bake for 20-25 mins or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. I baked for 25 mins for the larger, 3/4 filled cupcakes.
  9. Cool in cupcake pans 8-10 mins and then transfer to wire rack. Cool completely before frosting.
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting 


Yield: frosting for 24 cupcakes or 9x13" cake (This makes a lot of frosting!)

Ingredients:
  • 3 tbs strawberry puree
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 c powdered sugar 
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Directions:
  1. In stand mixer bowl, beat butter on medium speed until light and fluffy. 
  2. Reduce speed to low and slowly add powdered sugar. Mix well.
  3. Add vanilla and strawberry puree and mix until blended. 
  4. Frost cake or cupcakes and ENJOY!
Source: Adapted from lululuathome.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails