Monday, May 3, 2010

Chard Chips

I was at lunch with my Mom a few weeks ago when I overheard a conversation at the table next to us about kale chips. Kale "chips?" I was intrigued so I listened as the lady talked about how easy it was to make crunchy kale chips. I also overheard someone at Trader Joe's talking about kale chips and then I got an email the other day from the farm about kale chips, too. It's a healthy and delicious snack so I had to give it a go.

I had 2 bunches of swiss chard in my CSA basket so I used that instead of kale. It was a fast and easy way to eat up the chard. Chard "chips" were actually pretty tasty. It was salty and crispy and reminded us of Korean Roasted Laver (seaweed). 

This was good stuff.

Just try it.

Chard Chips

yield: 4+ servings

Ingredients:
  • 1-2 bunches swiss chard (can also use kale)
  • sea salt to taste
  • 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
Directions:
  1. Prep swiss chard. Wash, dry and chop.
  2. Preheat oven to 250F (I think 300F would've been a better temp). Prep baking sheet(s) with aluminum foil and spray with oil.
  3. Place chard in large bowl and toss with oil and salt. Don't overdo the oil or the chard will be soggy.
  4. Lay out chard in single layer on baking sheets. Bake for 30-40 mins or till chard gets crispy. ENJOY!
TIP: Also tasty mixed in with salad or on rice. Great as a side to chicken, beef or fish, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails