Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sweet Beets

My boys really love beets. I'm glad because I love beets, too. These turned out so good that we enjoyed them warm and then cold the next day as a pre-dinner snack. My boys love beets because of what it does when they eat it. What's not to like? Red stained fingers, red stained vampire-like lips and mouth, and of course, the bathroom aftermath of redness. Sorry if that was TMI but it's the truth with BOYS. :)

Beets are so delicious but Hubby still thinks they taste like dirt. I prefer them steamed "au natural" but I added a little honey to get the boys to eat more than their usual portion. It worked. :)

Fresh organic beets. Delicious and nutritious!

Sweet Beets

Yield: 4-6 servings

Ingredients:
  • 6-8 beets, small-medium size (saute the beet greens towards the end if they're fresh)
  • 1/4 c water (more or less depending on amount of beets)
  • 1 tbs honey
Directions:
  1. Wash beets and peel if desired. When I'm feeling lazy, I give the beets a good scrub and leave the skin on.
  2. Remove beet greens and slice beets. If beet greens are fresh, wash, chop and set aside.
  3. Add beets and water in saute pan over med-low heat. Water should not cover beets completely. Steam for 15-20 mins. Add more water if necessary and give beets a good stir a few times.
  4. Add beet greens during last 8-10 mins of cook time.
  5. Drain water and drizzle honey on beets. Serve warm or cold. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails