Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Char Siu Pork

It's been a crazy two weeks with workers in and out of our house painting the exterior, master bathroom and knocking down the cottage cheese ceiling. Ack! Messy stuff! I didn't cook for a couple days while the guys were working in and around the kitchen because they were creating a ton of dust. Not a sanitary environment for food prep so we were "forced" to eat out. I actually enjoyed a break from the kitchen. :)

Unfortunately, all the dust made Son #2's asthma kick in. I kept the kids out of the house while the work was going on and I even vacuumed several times after the work was done. Obviously, there was still dust in the air because Son wasn't breathing well. Starting him on the nebulizer usually does the trick but we ended up in his allergist's office because he wasn't getting better. :( Since Son wasn't well, I wanted to make something with garlic and ginger. According to my Mom, garlic and ginger are a "natural antibiotic." No, she's not a doctor but her homeopathic ways seem to work. Whenever we're under the weather, I add extra garlic to our meals and it really does help us bounce back.

The workers had an early day because they were pretty much done with the jobs at my home. I used the grill since my kitchen wasn't as clean as I would've like it to be. OH MY! This pork was DEEEEE-lish! This isn't your typical thin-sliced char siu pork with the red food coloring but it tasted great! The leftovers were perfect for breakfast burritos and the boys ate it up in quesadillas. Yum yum.

This was awesome. 

Totally tasty. 
Serve with rice on a bed of chard chips and steamed beets on the side.

Char Siu Pork

Yield: 6-8 servings

Ingredients:
  • 6-8 pork tenderloins about 1/2" thick
sauce/marinade: (makes about 1 c)
  • 1/4 c soy sauce
  • 2 tbs sake (rice wine)
  • 2 tbs ketchup
  • 2 tbs Hoisin sauce
  • 2 tbs honey
  • 1 tbs sugar
  • 2 tsp sesame oil
  • 2 tsp garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp ginger, minced
Directions:
  1. Mix 3/4 of sauce ingredients in gallon-sized ziploc bag. Reserve extra sauce for serving with pork.
  2. Place pork in ziploc, seal bag and give a good shake to coat pork with sauce.
  3. Marinate 4 hrs or overnight for best flavor.
  4. Heat grill over med-high heat for 3-5 mins then turn down to low. Grill pork 4-5 mins per side and baste with remaining marinade. I did a total of 8-10 mins per side after flipping back and forth a couple times.
  5. Let rest 5-8 mins before serving. ENJOY!!!
Source: Adapted from My Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails