Friday, May 7, 2010

Chocolate Curls

Almost nine years ago, I had my first experience with a Rockwell's cake. The girls who threw my baby shower ordered a tasty Chocolate Curl Cake and the chocolate curls on that cake was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! Everything about the cake was heavenly. So delicious! I hope you have a chance to check out Rockwell's in Villa Park, CA. Their cakes do NOT disappoint. Yum, yum, yuuuuuum!

I wanted to top Hubby's Black Forest birthday cake with chocolate curls to make it look fancy. I made white chocolate curls but changed my mind after I made the curls. I had a feeling semi-sweet chocolate curls would taste better and I'm pretty sure I made the right choice. :)  

Spread a smooth, thin layer of melted chocolate on the back of a cookie sheet.
As you can see, my layer wasn't very smooth or thin. 

The chocolate was too cold and I ended up with chocolate shavings so I stopped scraping.
If this happens to you, just let the chocolate tray set out for a minute and try scraping again.


I noticed I was also scraping up part of the aluminum from my Pampered Chef large sheet pan.
Not good, so it was a good thing my chocolate layer was on the thick side.


Keep chocolate shavings in an airtight container in the freezer until ready to use.


My second attempt has a smoother, thinner layer of chocolate.


These are nothing like Rockwell's' large, picture perfect, curly curls but they tasted great.


The chocolate curls added a nice touch to Hubby's birthday cake.

Chocolate Curls 

Yield: decoration for one 9" cake

Ingredients: 

  • 1- 1oz Baker's semi-sweet chocolate square (or use 2 oz white morsels)
  • 1/2 tsp Crisco shortening
  • 3-4 mins in freezer
  • 2 min to thaw 
Directions:
  1. Melt chocolate in microwave safe bowl.
  2. Place Crisco into bowl and microwave for 30 seconds or until shortening is melted and hot.
  3. Stir with a fork and combine thoroughly.
  4. Turn baking sheet upside down and clean the surface. 
  5. Pour melted chocolate on top and spread in thin, smooth layer.
  6. Place baking sheet in freezer for 3-4 mins. Press on chocolate with finger. Should leave a slight mark but not an actual fingerprint.
  7. Use Pampered Chef large serving spatula and scrape chocolate. Don't press too hard or you'll get bits of the baking sheet in your curls. 
  8. If the chocolate doesn't curl and you get chocolate shavings, let it soften for a min. and try again.
  9. Curl from one end to the other. Save in airtight container in freezer until ready to use.

Source: Adapted from The Pioneer Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails