I wanted to top Hubby's Black Forest birthday cake with chocolate curls to make it look fancy. I made white chocolate curls but changed my mind after I made the curls. I had a feeling semi-sweet chocolate curls would taste better and I'm pretty sure I made the right choice. :)
I noticed I was also scraping up part of the aluminum from my Pampered Chef large sheet pan.
Not good, so it was a good thing my chocolate layer was on the thick side.
Yield: decoration for one 9" cake
- 1- 1oz Baker's semi-sweet chocolate square (or use 2 oz white morsels)
- 1/2 tsp Crisco shortening
- 3-4 mins in freezer
- 2 min to thaw
- Melt chocolate in microwave safe bowl.
- Place Crisco into bowl and microwave for 30 seconds or until shortening is melted and hot.
- Stir with a fork and combine thoroughly.
- Turn baking sheet upside down and clean the surface.
- Pour melted chocolate on top and spread in thin, smooth layer.
- Place baking sheet in freezer for 3-4 mins. Press on chocolate with finger. Should leave a slight mark but not an actual fingerprint.
- Use Pampered Chef large serving spatula and scrape chocolate. Don't press too hard or you'll get bits of the baking sheet in your curls.
- If the chocolate doesn't curl and you get chocolate shavings, let it soften for a min. and try again.
- Curl from one end to the other. Save in airtight container in freezer until ready to use.
Source: Adapted from The Pioneer Woman