Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Vegan Lasagna

One of the girls from my Bunco group made a super tasty vegan lasagna back in January. It was bursting with veggies and it was delish. I had a pretty good idea of how MG put it together but I asked for her recipe just in case. I figured it couldn't be too different from regular lasagna but I didn't want to screw it up since Vegan Lasagna was the main dish for my Weirdos Reunion with my high school friends.

My version of vegan lasagna came together beautifully. It was good but would've been better had I not over-baked it. I kept it warm in the oven because we were waiting for AD to arrive from her last minute trip to Vegas. The top layer of lasagna noodles were a little too dry and the lasagna itself didn't have enough sauce (I love LOADS of sauce!) but I thought it was still pretty darn good. Everyone ate it up so it couldn't have been that bad. Maybe they were just plain hungry. ;)

I served the leftovers to my boys the next day and they loved it. Son #1 picked out some pieces and asked how it was vegan if I put chicken in it. He was referring to the crumbled tofu he found and was amazed at how it tasted just like chicken. Hehe! This was an easy way for my boys to eat more than their usual servings of veggies. Yahoo!

This was WAY better when I added homemade marinara from GK's mom.
Thanks, G, for leaving the tasty marinara. SOOOO YUMMY! 

OHHHHH...layers of deliciousness!

Vegan Lasagna

Yield: 12 servings in 9x13" dish

Ingredients: 
  • 3+ c marinara sauce
  • 9-12 lasagna noodles, cooked according to directions
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • 4-6 garlic cloves
  • sweet onion, minced
  • broccoli crowns
  • shredded carrots
  • swiss chard
  • firm tofu, water squeezed out and crumbled

Directions:
  1. Boil pot of water and cook lasagna noodles al dente according to package directions. Cut 2-3 pieces of wax paper and lay out noodles on wax paper.
  2. Preheat oven to 350F.
  3. In large saute pan, heat oil. Add garlic and onions and saute for 3-5 mins.
  4. Add broccoli, carrots and chard. Saute another 3-5 mins.
  5. In 9x15" dish, cover bottom of dish with marinara sauce.
  6. Place 3 lasagna noodles over sauce.
  7. Add a layer of the veggie mixture and crumbled tofu.
  8. Repeat layers of sauce, noodles and veggies.
  9. Cover and bake for 1 hr or until heated through. ENJOY!
Source: Adapted from MGG.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails