Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Best Burger Buns

I found a post for light brioche burger buns and saved it knowing I'd make them at some point. I've been baking sandwich breads for my fam since January and even made Indian Pav (white dinner rolls) a couple weeks ago. I wanted to try homemade hamburger buns, too. Glad I made the buns because they were GREAT!

There's nothing wrong with store-bought buns but I've found that the tasty buns from the bakery are usually ginormous and are more bun than I want to eat. They're too carbolicious and not waist-line friendly. I don't care for the smaller, bagged buns from the bread aisle as I don't think they taste very good. Hmmm...maybe I'm like my Dad and I'm a bread snob, too. I've been hooked on homemade bread because it's delicious so I was looking forward to trying homemade hamburger buns.

According to Wikipedia, "brioche is a highly enriched French bread, whose high egg and butter content give it what is seen as a rich and tender crumb. It has a dark, golden, and flaky crust from an egg wash applied after proofing." Well, Son #2 has severe egg allergies so I adapted the recipe so he could enjoy the buns, too. They were fantastic! Once again, I was pressed for time to get these on the table in time for dinner so I did my "rapid rise method" (it worked for the dinner rolls I made) and they turned out fine.

Ready for the second rise.

Transferred rolls to one baking sheet and set aside to cool.

Perfect.

Best Burger Buns

Yield: 8 buns, 4-5" in diameter

Ingredients:
  • 3 tbs warm milk
  • 1 c warm water (if it's too hot, it'll kill the yeast)
  • 2 tsp rapid rise yeast
  • 2 1/2 tbs sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 c bread flour
  • 1/3 c all purpose flour
  • 2 tbs butter, softened
  • (honey and toasted sesame seeds for topping)
Directions:
  1. In stand mixer bowl, add milk, water, yeast, sugar and salt. Use paddle attachment and mix to combine. Add flours and mix on low until incorporated. 
  2. Switch to dough hook and add butter. Knead on low for 8-10 mins. 
  3. Lift dough out of bowl and lightly spray the bowl with oil. Put dough back in bowl and cover with clean, damp towel. Let rise in warm, draft-free area till doubled in size about 1 hr. If rushed, turn on your countertop convection/toaster oven to "warm" and place bowl with dough on top of unit. Let rise for 30-40 mins.
  4. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. 
  5. Lightly flour Roul'Pat and roll out dough after it doubled in size into rectangular shape. Use a pizza cutter and gently cut dough into 8 equal parts. 
  6. Roll each portion into ball and place on baking sheet. Place buns 2-3" apart. Let rise again for 1 hr until nearly doubled in size again. If using "rapid rise method," set countertop convection/toaster oven to "warm" and place baking sheet with rolls on top of unit. Let rise for 30-40 mins.
  7. Fill 13x9" pan with water and place on bottom rack. Preheat oven to 400F and put empty rack in center. 
  8. Brush tops of buns with honey and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
  9. Bake for 15 mins or till tops are golden brown.
  10. Cool completely then ENJOY! I made yellowtail "burgers" for these buns. SOOO yummy!
Source: Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails